cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kelseymarie
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Broadband connection

We recently moved into our property and have typed in our address with the checker and it's only coming up 3mb when our neighbours and street can get anything from 18-32mb. Online chat and phoning has got us nowhere and we to keep getting passed around. Can someone please guide us in the right direction. Thanks
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband connection

Do you have your phone service with BT Retail, or another provider?

0 Ratings
Kelseymarie
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

I havnt set one up yet but looking at all of them they have the same issue with either can't offer me anything or only 3mb max.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@Kelseymarie wrote:
I havnt set one up yet but looking at all of them they have the same issue with either can't offer me anything or only 3mb max.

That's because basically they all use the same infrastructure supplied by Openereach so everything is basically the same except the branding on the package and perhaps some added extras and the cost.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@Kelseymarie wrote:

Well you will have to decide on your provider. This forum can only help you if you decide to get your service from BT Retail.

If you decide to do that, then when you get an active BT Retail phone number, the routing should be more accurate, as it will be based on the phone number.

The connections are provided by Openreach, for all providers except Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
Kelseymarie
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Do you know why I can only get 3mb and my whole street can't get up to 32mb?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

It could be because there are no current records of any broadband connection at that address so it is working with old information.

Until you have a working phone line it is impossible to say if there is a line problem or just a database update needed.

Kelseymarie
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Yes I am looking at going with BT I am just worried I will be paying money when I'm going to have a rubbish line. Thanks for your help
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

from the speed you are quoting I think your neighbours have fibre connections but as you have no phone currently you are getting adsl speeds  once you select your ISP and get phone then options should change

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.