cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Broadband extenders

Go to solution

Hi, I recently moved to a new build property with direct to home connection, my son is upstairs front (hub is downstairs back) and he has a pc setup but doesn’t have Wi-Fi on motherboard(I don’t understand that but…) he couldn’t get speed upstairs so bought a pair of extenders which worked great, he was getting 74mbp upstairs, I then upgraded to halo 3 500mb broadband and works great downstairs (511) but he only gets 90 upstairs? Tried the usual unplugging, restarting etc etc but no change, had the extenders for a year nearly so do you think I should upgrade and buy new extenders? Any help would be great as he’s moaning about it (17 yr old college student/gamer/pc maker)

is there a way to get the fast speeds upstairs without moving hub/moving his room/ buying a motherboard with the thing he needs to connect wirelessly 🤷‍♀️ I haven’t a clue…. Thankyou.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband extenders

Go to solution

If the NIC on his device is only  10/100 or the powerline adapters only have a 10/100 interface, that's the fastest he is going to get.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

What make/model of extenders?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

They are BTs own not sure of the model, they have 2blue lights on top and a plug socket on front

thanks for reply

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, I’m not sure but I’m sure he will understand the reply, I will show him thankyou

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Okay so they plug into your mains socket and your son connects with a cable from an extender to his computer?

if so the speeds achievable will depend upon the model of the  extenders, the capability of the network card on his computer AND the configuration of your mains electricity. 

Given that the extenders are capable of the desired speed it is possible to buy a different network card for the computer and also provide a Wi-Fi interface. If the mains electric is the culprit Wi-Fi might be a better bet. A photo of the extender with model number shown would help. 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

What's the WiFi like in his room? It would be cheap & easy to add a card or USB adapter to his PC.

Like most networking devices, Homeplug extenders use theoretical maximums but have taken it to the realms of pure fantasy with the numbers printed on the box.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

They are a pair of extenders, one plugs into a socket near the hub downstairs and the other plugs in to socket in sons room and connects to his computer.

thanks

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Ring BT up and ask for some free wi for disc for the dead spots that will do it !

0 Ratings