cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Broadband keeps dropping

I appreciate this topic has probably been raised once or twice, but i cant always follow what has worked for others!

My problem started when we upgraded mid 2020 to Smart Hub 2 (already with BT and never had an issue), and roughly the same time upgraded to Sky Q with 2 miniboxes.

Since then we have not had a day where everyone has been on the network. 

We have roughly 40 devices on the network. This includes several Echo dots, 4 laptops, a Nintendo Switch, Xbox, TV's, fire sticks, 4 mobile phones, a printer, kindles... you get the idea. Age range of people in the house is 10-early 40's, so its fair to say the internet gets a hammering.

Before either upgrade of Sky or SH2, we had absolutely zero issues. Now..... Well.....

Since the upgrade, sky drops out regularly to the point where we havent watched one of the miniboxes as it just cannot find the network. The 2nd mini will lose it daily along with the main box and says it connected to the router but not internet. 

4 mobile phones (mix of Apple & Android) will take turns to 'not be connected to the internet' and end up using data. Not ideal when used a months worth of data in 3 days!

BT keep doing tests and saying no problem. Engineer came and said could do with booster but other than that he cant see a problem. I got a Netgear booster. This too struggles to stay connected, or us connected to it.

So, i need help. 

atwitsend2021_0-1614978851612.png

Any help would be appreciated! (feel free to dumb it down too 😁)

Many thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband keeps dropping

Although you cannot split the 2.4/5ghz networks you can select the channels manually instead of leaving on auto.  I would use a wifi analyser on your mobile and see channels in use and select a free or less congested channel. As the SKY Q uses channel 36 I would ensure that the hub 5ghz network is on 44 or 48 and see if that helps the SKY Q and the minis

i have SKY Q and 3 minis and have no problem with SH2

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 12

Hi imjolly, we have tried both 44 & 48 settings previously. They lasted 1 day (max) before dropping out and not connecting again.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Is it just your wireless devices that are dropping connection and the hub and Ethernet devices remain connected to the internet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Hi, the give is currently the only thing hard wired as right next to router. The sky q was via a power plug but was fairly old and quite limited in terms of throughput. However sky STILL dropped out and wouldnt connect to internet even though was wired.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

is your hub dropping internet connection - hub lights changing colour from normal blue to something else

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

Message 7 of 12

So, no the hub stays blue at all times.

Line check done, all quiet.

Product nameBT Smart Hub 2
Serial number1845101704
Fireware versionv0.24.04.11017-BT (Sun Nov  1 22:23:06 2020)
Board versionR01
GUI version1.71 05_06_2020
DSL uptime8 days 23 Hours 0 Mins 13 Secs
Data rate7.2 Mbps / 35.0 Mbps
Maximum Data rate7.2 Mbps / 42.3 Mbps
Noise margin6.1/8.5
Line attenuation10.3/25.3
Signal attenuation10.3/25.7
VLAN id101
Upstream error controlOff
Downstream error controlOff
Data sent / received2.1 GB Uploaded / 2.1 GB Downloaded
Broadband username 
BT Wi-FiActive
2.4 GHz wireless network nameBT-GFA6ZC
2.4 GHz wireless channelChannel: 1
5 GHz wireless network nameBT-GFA6ZC
5 GHz wireless channelChannel: 48
Wireless SecurityWPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless modeMode 1
FirewallOn
MAC address44:FE:3B:5A:FF:04
Software variant-
Boot loader 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

atwitsend2021_6-1615066846841.png

Many thanks 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

from your stats you have 8 days conenction time so the problem is dropping wireless not loss of internet connection

have you tried a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash

when hub reboots remember turn of smart setup  and then select wifi channels manually and see if that helps your wireless devices connect and hold connection

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

So quick update (as been working). I have reset the router, again. No joy. Swapped in an older router, still BT one, which worked initially, then went exactly the same with SKy - Connected to router but not internet.
Put the SH2 router back in with new Devolo Magic 1 home wifi kit at a cost of £180. Hard wired Sky Q, and STILL lost connection for the main sky box, along with several other issues in the house. THe Devolo is going back and i do not know what to do. Suppose back on to BT call centre to tell me everything is fine at their end again.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

THat is me working, not the system!
0 Ratings