Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veed79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Broadband through ext socket

Go to solution
Hi, I have fibre broadband and my router is connected to master socket which is under stairs we suffer a lot of WiFi drop outs and unable to online game and watch Netflix at same time bt have blamed this on WiFi connections even though most of the items connected are not far away from router just it’s behind a closed door and connecting Ethernet is not possible as would have to run cables across the room. There is an ext socket next to tv where I would like to plug router in so streaming devices could be plugged in there is it possible to connect that ext to receive data signal with existing wiring? There seems to be to grey cables in the wall but no idea what colours do what.
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband through ext socket

Go to solution

Does your master socket have 2 sockets, one for phone and one for hub, or just one socket and an external dangly filter?

0 Ratings
Veed79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution
Has two sockets my router plugs in to top one, says it’s a mk2 if that helps?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

In that case your extension will be wired to terminals 2&5 on the removable faceplate. Transfer those 2 wires to the data extension terminal on the backplate and then your extension socket can be used to plug in the hub. You will need to use a dangly filter at the extension to convert the phone soccket to RJ11.

Image result for nte 5 mk2

0 Ratings
Veed79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
Hmm mine looks slightly different il try an upload a pic
0 Ratings
Veed79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

IMG_8785.jpg

0 Ratings
Veed79
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Just checked sorry your right is the same just the brown wires are wrapped up inside, I have what looks like 3 main grey cables with the different colours inside wall which pair of brown cables would I connect or is it just trial and error as there is no way for me to know which cable goes to that particular ext plate.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

There should be 2 terminals at the top left of the plate that is still fixed to the backbox.

You appear to have 2 sets of cables going to extensions, you need to identify which cable goes where and then move the wires from terminals 2&5 in the appropriate cable on the part you are holding to the 2 terminals at the top left.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Ignore the colours of the wires. Just move the existing wires as described.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

The only way to tell which of the 2 cables goes where is to plug a phone into the extension socket. If you lose dial tone you have removed the wires going to that socket, if you still have dial tone, its the other 2 wires you need to move. You will need to temporarily plug the faceplate back in to check though as removing it disconnects the extensions.

0 Ratings