cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kengordon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 224

Re: Broadband usage figures crazy

Many thanks for the 192.168.1.254 , it gets me onto the hub page, and I have the event log! I have the Home Hub 3 BTW.

It feels like I am trying to decipher alien messages, but it is very interesting indeed. My broadband started on March 7th. I remember setting it up on March 7th because it was my birthday. I phoned to complain about the what i think is phantom 7GB on March 17th.

The activity listing shows four entries on 1st January, all similar to this e.g. 

35.720000) Auto channel selection (reason 'Power up') is complete. Selected channel: 11, noise data: 1-(-105) 2-(-106) 3-(-106) 4-(-106) 5-(-106) 6-(-107) 7-(-106) 8-(-106) 9-(-89) 10-(-107) 11-(-107) 12-(0) 13-(0).

Maybe manufacturing self test?

And then 9th, 10th , 11th ,12th and 15th , 17th and 18th March are all like the following:

148001.570000) Auto channel selection (reason 'GUI Refresh') is complete. Selected channel: 1, noise data: 1-(-109) 2-(-109) 3-(-109) 4-(-109) 5-(-109) 6-(-109) 7-(-108) 8-(-109) 9-(-109) 10-(-109) 11-(-109) 12-(-109) 13-(-109).

Further listing on and after 2216 on 18th March and up to today are simpler strings like : 

Host 74:ea:3a:8a:e6:32 connected to SSID 'BTHub3-R767' at 78 Mbps

There are strings that look like our house PC connecting to it evyer 1440 mins.

Is this the early autochannel selection and noise data to do with the broadband settling time that was mentioned? 

I think i need an idiots guide to decipher the Event log.

Could i interpret what is on the log as : although i started using the broadband on 7th march, the system was being tested / self tested until the 2216 on the 18th?

Is it possible to see how much time has elapsed in connections and download figures using the hub manager?

Best regards 

K

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 224

@kengordon wrote:
This morning before I went to work at 0700, the useage was 8.38GB, when i checked after returning home it was 9.46GB. More than 1GB has been added when no-one was at home and both PCs were switched off.

Hi ken

This might be how the usage monitor works - always catching up. If you can, check the monitor just after midnight (noting the usage), enter the hub manager (via 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home), click settings, then advanced settings, continue to advanced, then select broadband and note the current values given after Data Transmitted/Received (MB) - which is only reliable if the hub has not rebooted.

As silly as it might sound turn off the hub and switch it on at or around 7am. Has the usage increased?

(clearly the hubs data value will now be a 0/0).

@kengordon wrote:

35.720000) Auto channel selection (reason 'Power up') is complete. Selected channel: 11, noise data: 1-(-105) 2-(-106) 3-(-106) 4-(-106) 5-(-106) 6-(-107) 7-(-106) 8-(-106) 9-(-89) 10-(-107) 11-(-107) 12-(0) 13-(0).

Maybe manufacturing self test?

Although I'm not familiar with the v3, the above would appear to be normal as this version has smart wifi.

When it is first switched on, it will check for the strongest wifi channel and set itself to that chosen channel. in your case it selected channel 11.

And then 9th, 10th , 11th ,12th and 15th , 17th and 18th March are all like the following:

148001.570000) Auto channel selection (reason 'GUI Refresh') is complete. Selected channel: 1, noise data: 1-(-109) 2-(-109) 3-(-109) 4-(-109) 5-(-109) 6-(-109) 7-(-108) 8-(-109) 9-(-109) 10-(-109) 11-(-109) 12-(-109) 13-(-109).

It appears that it is/has detected some wifi interference on the selected channel. By design it is trying to find a better channel

Further listing on and after 2216 on 18th March and up to today are simpler strings like : 

Host 74:ea:3a:8a:e6:32 connected to SSID 'BTHub3-R767' at 78 Mbps

This is reporting that the device (74:ea....) is currently connected at 78 Mbps

(all the above is a new feature of the bt hub)

There are strings that look like our house PC connecting to it evyer 1440 mins.

I'm not sure about the timing, but again I'd say it's selecting wifi channels.

Is this the early autochannel selection and noise data to do with the broadband settling time that was mentioned? 

I think i need an idiots guide to decipher the Event log.

Could i interpret what is on the log as : although i started using the broadband on 7th march, the system was being tested / self tested until the 2216 on the 18th?

Is it possible to see how much time has elapsed in connections and download figures using the hub manager?

Best regards 

K

You could also navigate (via the hub manager) to Home Network. Check that only your PC and laptop are displayed - to rule out a rogue user....

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
kengordon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 224

Thank you again for your advice and the information.

I feel better now i have an independent way to checking what is going on.

As to rogue users, there was an unknown laptop listed in my devices listing "Laptop1" but i can see around the time i phoned them this morning there was a connection made from , so perhaps that is the BT guy's laptop connecting?

(207453.150000) Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username
09:46:08, 19 Mar. (207452.360000) Initializing transaction for event code 6 CONNECTION REQUEST

(207453.150000) Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username09:46:08, 19 Mar. (207452.360000) Initializing transaction for event code 6 CONNECTION REQUEST

...and thanks for the hub switch off tip too.

Best regards

K

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 224

AFAIK the unknown laptop shouldn't appear in the home network, unless it does if/when the BT guy entered the hub manager via the GTA (go to assist) session that you may have been connected to?

Via the hub manager, you can click refresh on the Home Network screen. It should remove it...

While you're on the home Network screen, you can then click on the devices listed under Physical and Wireless Connections and fix the devices to the ip address given to them by the hub. Simply click yes and then apply on the Always use this IP address section.

Then monitor the home network to see if any unknown devices reappear - don't get too paranoid about this bitSmiley Wink

The other 2 events shown in your above post, are normal activities.

(You can use the search facility at the top of these forum pages to find out more or use a search engine - keywords - bt motive should be enough)

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
kengordon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 224

That's very useful information. Thanks.

K

0 Ratings
Laserjet3200
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 224

Hi & interesting. See my post BT Broadband Usage Monitor Wildly Inaccurate which seems a very similar problem.

I have changed my password, my Hub SSID & am monitoring MAC codes to confirm only authorised machines access my system. Your Hub figure should be the same as the BT figure - if you had unauthorised access via your hub it should show up on your monitor.

I'm out in the sticks - are you a rural consumer as well?

0 Ratings
kengordon
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 224

Yes, I'm relatively rural.

Through the info provided in this forum, I've at least been able to interrogate my Home Hub, but the false number on the BT.com web page keep going up.

I still don't think they can tell me how much my broadband is being used and when. 

@BTcare on Twitter...

Hey, I have checked this out and there is a fault with it. No charges for overuse will be issued for Jan and Feb, please .. Disregard the online advice and the fix is being implemented as i write this.

Disregard the online advice and the fix is being implemented as i write this is in hand and a fix is being implemented for anybody effected by the problem.

This implies it affects a few people.

I am keeping an eye on the numbers on the Home Hub.

I think I'll probably cancel my account if this drags on to the end of the week and BT have no demonstrable way of showing me how and when my broadband is being used. have i missed something? is there somewhere in the hub setting i can see usage / day?

K

Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 224

@kengordon wrote:

Yes, I'm relatively rural.

Through the info provided in this forum, I've at least been able to interrogate my Home Hub, but the false number on the BT.com web page keep going up.

I still don't think they can tell me how much my broadband is being used and when. 

@BTcare on Twitter...

Hey, I have checked this out and there is a fault with it. No charges for overuse will be issued for Jan and Feb, please .. Disregard the online advice and the fix is being implemented as i write this.

Disregard the online advice and the fix is being implemented as i write this is in hand and a fix is being implemented for anybody effected by the problem.

This implies it affects a few people.

I am keeping an eye on the numbers on the Home Hub.

I think I'll probably cancel my account if this drags on to the end of the week and BT have no demonstrable way of showing me how and when my broadband is being used. have i missed something? is there somewhere in the hub setting i can see usage / day?

K

Hi. Thanks for this twitter feed posts.

That does look like there was a serious problem with the usage meter in Jan and Feb. I wonder how BTCare found out about it, and haven't appeared to have informed the forum team ? - and put a post in the Announcement area.

lespearson
Beginner
Message 19 of 224

Un-register BT FON and OPENZONE - they hit my mother for 23 gig in her first month....£15 extra charges she is 77, only uses the net to get recipes and talk to her great grand kids on face book. And she used 23 gig...no way. I asked BT to proove that BT FON/OPENZONE goes out of the router on a different port....they can't!!!!!  Because it does not.

Tags (2)
Community Manager - Retired
Message 20 of 224

Hi all,

Just wanted to confirm that, as mentioned in some earlier posts, there has been an issue for a small number of customers whose usage was reported incorrectly in January and February.  We detected that their usage had been over-reported and found that there had been a problem with a piece of network hardware, which resulted in additional usage showing for these customers. 

Since the problem was discovered we have identified the affected customers and made sure that no charges will be made for any of their February usage, and any charges that were made for January usage will also be refunded on their next bill.

We’re really sorry that this happened, but want to reassure you all that this was the result of a specific set of circumstances.  We have already made changes to ensure this can't happen again, so you can be sure that all future usage will be reported accurately.

Thx
Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings