Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 37

Broadband usage has mysteriously increased substantially

Go to solution

I regularly check my broadband usage using the BT HomeHub data transmitted/received figures.  For the last 3 days the usage has shot up by a factor of about 400%.  The daily usage has been 2.39, 2.16 and 2.54 GB whereas my average for March prior to that was 0.52 GB.  I have no rational explanation as to why this has happened. I took a reading at 5:33 pm yesterday showing the for the day to be about average. The reading this morning shows a further 2GB was used.  I have BT Vision and BT Sport, but my usage of that was not much different from normal.  I updated 2 tablets and again nothing too unusual about that. I'm single and so there is no-one else who has a legitimate access to my broadband connection.

I decided to look in the event log to see if I could spot anything unusual in there but it is incomprehensible to me.

The concern I have is that my Hub is being accessed and used by someone else.  I can see that I can filter the event log by various categories.  Is there any particular one I should concentrate on? What should I be looking out for given my concerns.

I'm using the recommended security (WPA and WPA2) and my password is assessed as being strong.

0 Ratings
36 REPLIES 36
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 37

Re: Broadband usage has mysteriously increased substantially

Go to solution
It is very unlikely your hub has been accessed by anyone else what devices do you have other than the two tablets
0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 37

Go to solution

Devices:

• Gateway laptop, purchased in 2007 (ethernet connection)
  • BT Youview (Humax) (ethernet connection)
  • Panasonic TV (ethernet connection) purchased 2010 - not really a 'smart' TV, I do not use its internet connection.
  • Hewlett Packard touchscreen desktop, purchased 2014 (wifi connection)
  • Canon Printer, purchased 2015, wifi connection. normally switched off

Yesterday I made a note of the statistics before I switched the off the desktop.  This morning's data shows that a further 1.8 Gb was used at a time when the only thing I was using was the BT Youview box.  I am doing nothing other than what I would normally do.  I cannot account for the substantial increase in usage.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 37

Go to solution
No on demand programmes been watched on the youview box by anyone in the house?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 37

Go to solution
check to see if your PC's are trying to update to windows 10 as failed installs can cause increases in usage of 2 to 3 Gb
0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 37

Go to solution

No on demand programmes being used.  I live alone.

0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 37

Go to solution

The desktop has already been updated to Windows 10 and there have be no significant windows updates shown in the update history to either the laptop or the desktop.

Between 12:41 and 14:44 today the usage was 0.2 GB. Not a significant amount but considering that I was not responsible for the usage it does becomes significant when you work out the 24 hour usage at the same rate. The laptop and desktop had been turned off.  The BT Youview was connected but on standby.

There's a lot of activity being shown in the log in the time frame but I cannot work out if any of it is unusual.  Most of the events relate to the firewall, with the messages 'tcp reset attack suspected', 'Remote administration TCP' and 'invalid in connection'. These are not the full messsages attached to the event. They appear to be blocked.

I'm tempted to turn off the HomeHub when none of the devices are actively being used.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 37

Go to solution
You can do that, but be aware that multiple reboots of the router can trick the line management software into thinking there's a dropping connection fault. It may then take action to reduce your connection speed in an attempt to improve stability. Are you on a limited data package?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 37

Go to solution

@Gratias wrote:

The desktop has already been updated to Windows 10 and there have be no significant windows updates shown in the update history to either the laptop or the desktop.

Between 12:41 and 14:44 today the usage was 0.2 GB. Not a significant amount but considering that I was not responsible for the usage it does becomes significant when you work out the 24 hour usage at the same rate. The laptop and desktop had been turned off.  The BT Youview was connected but on standby.

There's a lot of activity being shown in the log in the time frame but I cannot work out if any of it is unusual.  Most of the events relate to the firewall, with the messages 'tcp reset attack suspected', 'Remote administration TCP' and 'invalid in connection'. These are not the full messsages attached to the event. They appear to be blocked.

I'm tempted to turn off the HomeHub when none of the devices are actively being used.

Hi.

How are you checking the usage ? Also, what are the up/down load figures separately ?

Have you compared the daily use with the online monitor ? Note that the online monitor is a day in arrears and shows up to midnight the previous day. It will, however, exclude items like btcloud, btvision, bttalk.

The hub stats are not always very reliable, but can be used as a guide.

Windows 10 has a facility to share updates for other people - which will eat up bandwidth. Although it's hard to determine how many people are actually affected by this, and how much is being used. To turn off this "feature" :-

http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-...

need to be done for all win10 machines. There was an update last week for win10.

(The firewall is doing its job, so nothing to worry about there).

Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 37

Go to solution

I am not on a limited data package, which means I cannot verify the usage figures online as they are not made available to anyone on an unlimted package.

I know that this means I should not be concerned about usage but I have been monitoring it ever since I was on the 10 Gb package and I have become alarmed at this recent inexplicable large usage I am getting from the BT Homehub data.

0 Ratings