Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brookheather
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 37

Re: Broadband usage has mysteriously increased substantially

Go to solution

You can check the network usage of your Windows 10 PC by clicking on the App History tab of the Task Manager - this will show if you have any app running that is using up network bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 37

Go to solution

As has already been said, ff you have Windows 10 installed make sure that you have turned of peer to peer sharing of Windows updates. Microsoft have decided to use your broadband connection to distribute its Windows updates to other users.

If this feature is turned on it will obviously have a big impact on your usage.

There are a number of other things which use your Internet connection that are turned on by default in Windows 10 . I suggest that you to some searching of the Internet regarding Winows 10 default settings.

Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 37

Go to solution
I'd honestly think of more concerning things to worry about.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 37

Go to solution

I am getting the usage from the BT Homehub 4 Broadband Internet Connection Configuration page.  I have looked at both the transmitted and the received figures.  Although there is an increase in both, its the received that's causing me most concern.  The transmitted figure is far less significant in comparison. I can't get at the figures at the moment but I can provided them tomorrow if it's going to help.

I am not on a limited data package, which means I cannot verify the usage figures online as they are not made available to anyone on an unlimted package.

I know that this means I should not be concerned about usage but I have been monitoring it ever since I was on the 10 Gb package and I have become alarmed at this recent inexplicable large usage I am getting from the BT Homehub data.

The laptop is a Vista machine, its the desktop which is Windows 10. There's no indication that an attempt has been made to update it with Windows 10.  I know that Vista is going to be unsupported shortly.

I did install the recent Windows 10 update, I have taken that into account.  My problem started on 10 March and is ongoing on a daily basis.

0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 37

Go to solution

The problem seems to be occuring when I'm not on the desktop, after I've switched it off. Events that are being shown in the Task Manager aren't going to supply me with the answer.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 37

Go to solution

If your Windows 10 computer is set to peer to peer updating it is constantly on and will be constantly available to be used to upload updates from your computer to any other Windows 10 user. It will not indicate that it is doing this. If you don't want it to do that you must turn it off.

As regards your Vista computer. It can not be upgraded to Windows 10 via a Windows update and it does not look for or attempt to download Windows 10 upgrade. To upgrade from vista to W10 you need to do a clean install so it will not be your Vista computer trying to download or install W10.

Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 37

Go to solution

Changing the setting hasn't solved the problem.  I changed it yesterday and the recorded the data statistics before i switched off the desktop. I changed it to PCs on my local network (no longer PCs on the Internet). I have just turned Updates from more than 1 place off altogether to see if that makes any difference.  The last Windows update was done on the 11 March and was to the Adobe Flash Player. My problem started on the 10 March.  There was a cumulative Windows 10 update on the 9 March.

At 6.00 pm yesterday the data received was 971.6 mb.  In itself this was inexplicably high because it represented the use that day. I'd reset the hub (by powering off) first thing that day after recording the readings.  The data transmitted was 87.9 mb.

Today at 10.00 am the readings were 2.50 gb received and 205.1 mb transmitted.  So overnight there's been a total usage of over 1.6 gb, at a time when my computers were turned off.

I've been in touch with BT Technical department and he suggested that my broadband connection is being used by someone else and has suggested a factory reset and a change of password.  I'm not in a position to do that today so he going to ring me back tomorrow.  I have looked into this and it seems I can do it by one of two ways, either through the HomeHub Manager or a pinhole at the back of the HomeHub.  Is there a difference between the two?

If this solves the problem all well and good but to be honest I'd sooner find out who or what is using my broadband and surely this must be hidden somewhere in the Event Log.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 37

Go to solution
Are you opted into BT FON? It has been known on a few occasions for FON traffic to be shown as used data, even though it's not supposed to.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 37

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
Are you opted into BT FON? It has been known on a few occasions for FON traffic to be shown as used data, even though it's not supposed to.

FON traffic will show on the hub stats, but is one of the items removed from the online monitor and usage for those on unlimited - hence one of the reasons the online monitor is a while in arrears.

0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 37

Go to solution

I shouldn't be opted in to BT FON but it sounds as if it's something I should check, but how do I check? 

It would go someway to explain why there is such substantial usage when my computers are switched off and why BT's figures are so much below those I'm getting from the Hub.

0 Ratings