Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 37

Re: Broadband usage has mysteriously increased substantially

Go to solution

Unfortunately the hub factory reset has not solved the problem.

Just to recap the problem appeared on 10 March and I've looked at previous months over the same period for comparison.  Data received has gone up by a factor of 5.75 (from 0.40 Gb to 2.3 Gb) and data transmitted has gone up by a factor of 3.33 (from 0.06 Gb to 0.20 Gb).  These figures come from the BT HomeHub data transmitted/received and are the averages per day over the period of the 10th to the 16th.  Although I am on an unlimited package I have continued to record them from when I was on the 10 Gb option. Let's put that down to my obsessive compulsive nature.

I have altered the Windows update settings as suggested (updates from more than one place is now off). I have altered WiFi settings so that WiFi sense is off.  I have established that I have not opted in to BTFon.

I use BT Cloud but that cannot be the cause since the majority of the extra activity takes place when my desktop and laptop are switched off.  I have BT YouView along with BT Sport but my usage of that has not changed at all, so i cannot see how that is the root of the problem.

BT's figures are much much lower, in line with what I would expect, although they will not include BT Cloud (I use 1.77 Gb) or BT YouView.  I have had to ring them to get the figures since no data is available to me online because I'm on an unlimited package.

In the event log in the HomeHub manager there is a lot of activity taking place, pages and pages of it, even when I'm not online through the computers. The majority of the activity is in the Firewall category.  Not having looked at it before I don't know whether it has increased significantly recently.

If I was not in the habit of recording the activity I would be blissfully unaware that there was a change. I'm on an unlimited package so why am I concerned? Two reasons. The fear of the unknown. Why is something or someone hammering away at my HomeHub? What is their intention? How do I stop them? And this unsolicited activity must be affecting my broadband speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 37

Go to solution
I think for your sanity, you need to turn the home hub off when you're not using it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
yesmaybe
Beginner
Message 33 of 37

Go to solution

do you have a phone or tablet with a backup service or a photo gallery, that uploads photos automatically to the cloud.  My friend came to atay from abroad, bought a local sim card with limited 3G, let's say 2GB a month.  She used it in the first day, and then again in the second day as her (huge amounts of) photos were being backed up constantly across the 3G network to her phone cloud backup storage. It took a while to pin point where the data was being used. We restricted to back up only on wifi but that of course moved the data cost from the phone allowance across to the broadband allowance.  Perhaps you have a setting on one of your devices which is doing the similar.

Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 37

Go to solution

Mr Webby, my doctor concurs with your suspicions, but my psychiatrist needs another 10 sessions before he's willing to make a judgement.  The orangutan in my wardrobe just laughed, he's had his suspicions ever since we became acquainted.

In the meantime BT are trying to push me further over the edge.  I received a text saying they were going to ring between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm today.  I replied that I would be going out at 12:30, hoping they would make a rearranged time.  Having had no acknowledgement I got into an online chat with Bt , the result of which I was told I would get a call between 11:00 and 11:30.

I did not get a call by 11:30, nor by 12:30, and not even by 1:00.  I did not get a call at all.

Just to add further doubts about my sanity I was reminded today that on the day I started to have problems there was a power cut. It was unusual in that it lasted about 5 minutes and then very shortly afterwards it went off again and back on very soon after. Could it have caused some damage to the HomeHub? Yes, I'm that desperate.

Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 35 of 37

Go to solution

Yesmaybe:

I do have a tablet with a backup service, but it has very little on it to back up and would not account for the daily volume of traffic I'm experiencing since the 10 March. I very rarely switch it on , maybe once a week, and only then for a very short time.

0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 37

Go to solution
Mr Webby, please don't take my previous post as sarcasm, it was an attempt at humour.
0 Ratings
Gratias
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 37

Go to solution

I was offered a replacement HomeHub as a final option. Since there seemed to be no other way forward I accepted and set it up yesterday. The problem has disappeared.  So it was a faulty HomeHub which was functioning acceptably in all aspects except reporting the usage.

It had been suggested to me that the HomeHub figures may be inaccurate but the level of inaccuracy I was experiencing was beyond credibility.

Anyway I can now mark this as an acceptable solution and thank all those who took time to help.  It's been very much appreciated.

0 Ratings