Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Bt Halo 1 with fibre 250 complete wifi

Hi

I have the fibre 250 complete wifi package. I have the smart hub 2 and 3 discs. The router unfortunately has to sit in my under stairs cupboard as that's where my ont box is. I have then have a wifi disc on each floor of my 3 storey house. The router speed test gives me 270-300 mbps, but when I'm connected to the discs they give me about 20-50 mbps. 

Do i need to set the discs up in a certain order to achieve high speeds, like do I need to set the downstairs one up first, then middle floor, then top floor? Or does it not matter the order? 

I'd like to at least get over 100mbps off the discs

Any help with this would be great

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Bt Halo 1 with fibre 250 complete wifi

Hi @Spills84 

Are the lights on the disks blue?

Are you able to plug an ethernet cable into the disk, and run the test? What are the results?

It shouldn't really matter what order they are switched on, but I have found they can sometimes connect to the disk that I  don't think is the best one. So I turn them all off and turn them on in the order I want them to connect.

So, yes, you could turn it all off and turn them on in order of the floors of your house. You can check what they're connected to by using the My BT App or loading 192.168.1.254 in your browser and then press My Devices. Your first disk should be connected by 5GHZ to your Smart Hub. 

Thanks

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Hi

Yes all the lights on all discs are blue

I have that issue.. I'm in my master bedroom which has a disc. But my phone always connects to the living room disc which is downstairs, why does it do that?

So you would say to turn all discs off then turn bottom floor disc on first, then middle and then top? Or the other way round?

So does the downstairs disc need to be connected to the hub via 5ghz? Or should all the discs be on 5ghz connection?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 12

OK good.

Yes, I meant the disks not the devices though. You could try switching wi-fi on and off to see if it connects to the right one. It’s up to the devices how they handle the multiple APs.

Yep, in the order said. The order you want them to connect, so the one closest to the router, closest to that disk etc.

Ideally they should all be 5ghz if you want 100mb+ 🙂

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

If this doesnt work then what should I do?

Surely if I'm getting 270mbps from the smart hub 2 then I should get over 100 on each disc shouldn't I?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 12

Move the dishes closer, or disable 2.4ghz (if you don't have any devices that use it) to see if this is the problem. That way, all your devices will be getting the fastest connection possible, if the 5ghz connection between disks is strong.

Unfortunately, Wi-Fi does not work this way, and can be affected by a multitude of things.

The Complete Wi-Fi only guarantees speeds of 10mb in every room, but the disks can do way more than this. I have seen them do 74mb down (the max the customer had ordered) on the furthest disk, on orange colour in an old house with very thick walls.

Post back how you get on
--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

So the hallway (downstairs disc) is connected to 5ghz, the the other 2 arent

How do I get them to connect to 5ghz?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

I have re linked all discs in order and everything was great. All were connected via 5ghz, until the other day when the hallway disc (closest to hub) decides to connect via 2.4ghz, how can I stop it doing this? Both other discs are currently still connected via 5ghz 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 12

Hey @Spills84 

Glad you got it working for a bit! 😂

I guess you could disable 5Ghz across the entire network, but this would be problematic if you have devices that can only use 2.4G, and 5G has limited range.

Reboot it and see if it connects 5G.

Move it closer, or if possible run an ethernet cable from the back of your Hub to the disk?

Did the disk using 2.4 have a big effect on the performance?

Thanks

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Also my sky q box keeps disconnecting from internet. I have a friend who said to run an ethernet cable from the middle floor wifi disk to the back of the sky q box, can this be done? Will tbe wifi still work as well as the ethernet 

0 Ratings