cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Bt Smart Hub why it doesn't keep the settings of static address on the router instead of the DHCP?

There is not a chance to set up for each device a static address at new BT Smart Hub as it doesn't keep this setting. I have tried to set up static instead of the DHCP but after click on the SAVE button it was back on the DHCP settings, why is it like that? It needs to fix this problem as it's impossible to use. Any idea if I'm wrong or not?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Bt Smart Hub why it doesn't keep the settings of static address on the router instead of the DHC

You must set static IP addresses on the device, routers don't set static addresses.  They can be configured to always assign the same IP via DHCP, which is not the same thing.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Bt Smart Hub why it doesn't keep the settings of static address on the router instead of the DHC

Yes, I had meant to be able to set up an stable IP address on my router above the DHCP... But it doesn't work as I tried to put the STATIC address but after click confirmation of the SAVE it didn't change anything and it just stayed the same...
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 8

Does the router issue the same IP address to each device every time the device reconnects?

If not the router is forgetting the settings.  If the IP addresses are the same every time then the router is doing what it was set to do.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I just wanted to point out that the settings of the 2 sections "ADDRESS ASSIGNMENT" and "ALWAYS USE THIS IP ADDRESS" don't work actually...

You can set up whatever you like in there but after click to go back somewhere, you can find everytime the setting has been switched off again...

It's probably made on purpose by a software change... But a reason for this, I have no idea... 

STATIC SETTINGS.jpg

SETTINGS UP OF STATIC.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

@donecek You have to select "Always use this IP Address" if you want DHCP to assign the same IP address every time. This only applies to devices that use DHCP.

I think the address assignment mode is for devices that have static IP addresses set on the device itself, that stops the home hub from trying to allocate that same IP address to another device in error.

These devices would not make a DHCP request anyway.

You must always remember to save any changes before you navigate to another page.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

@donecek

Looks like the solution is for you to buy a proper third party modem/router.  The smart hub looks like it has a few issues.  With a good router you will not have the problem.  Though the best way to assign the same IP to a device 'ad infinitum' is to set the IP on the actual device.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Yes, you are right probably.... but the BT Home Hub 5 didn't have any problem with this.... And I always make sure it's "save changes" done...but after to go somewhere else so it's switched off back... OK, I will let this problem go....Maybe they will do an up-date of the router's software one day and it will fixed... Thanks to all of you for help anyway...Appreciate that...
0 Ratings