Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
rp2000
Message 1 of 7

Bt Wifi/Fon/Openzone/Roaming clarification

Go to solution

Hi All,

I just recently got Infinity 2 and HH3 and I want to clarify how the free Bt Wifi works that I get as part of my subscription.

Ther terminology and wording seems a bit different in various places so I wanted to check if someone here can give an official answer.

I undertsand there are 3 types of BT Wifi points:

1) HomeHubs sharing as FON

2) "proper" hotspots in some commercial properties (BTOpenzone)

3) Roaming Wifi partners/companies. (UK ones and abroad?)

I am only interested in using 2) & 3)  Can I turn off the Fon on my HH and achieve that without paying any more money?

Also my HH seems to be transmitting 2 seperate SSIDs "BTWifi" and "BTWifi-with-Fon".  What sort of people can connect to these and why is there 2?

Finally, assuming I can still keep wifi and turn off FON, what is the easiest way to connect to roaming hotspots (probably in EU) form other companies?  Using the BT app for your smart phone?  I guess if I connect to an BT prefixed SSID once and save details that is fine for all other UK based spots with same SSID, but I guess foreign partners will have different SSIDs?

rp2000

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Bt Wifi/Fon/Openzone/Roaming clarification

Go to solution

This is a BT customer to BT customer forum so this is not an "official" answer.

See this link for answers to some of your questions.

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/Where-do-i-find-my-free-around-the-country-web-BT-login-...

If you turn BTwifi - Fon off on your router it means you have opted out and you won't be able to use the free hotspots when out and about. You would then have to pay to use BTOpenzone hotspots.

Who knows what type of person uses free BTWifi - the same type of person as you, one who is a BT Customer who has opted in to using BTWifi-Fon.

You don't need the BT app to connect when out and about but it can make it easier.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

There is an allowable cheat if you want to use the free service but don't want others using your broadband via BT-Fon.  You can replace the HomeHub with a different router that does not support BT-Fon.  Always strikes me as slightly anti-social, but ...

I doubt anyone has ever used my Broadband via Fon other than me in a test.  I've certainly never seen any impact.  I have heard that the download a BT-Fon user can use is quite limited, but that in theory they can use lots of upload.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@sjtp wrote:

There is an allowable cheat if you want to use the free service but don't want others using your broadband via BT-Fon.  You can replace the HomeHub with a different router that does not support BT-Fon.  Always strikes me as slightly anti-social, but ...

I doubt anyone has ever used my Broadband via Fon other than me in a test.  I've certainly never seen any impact.  I have heard that the download a BT-Fon user can use is quite limited, but that in theory they can use lots of upload.

using another router to receive your broadband is not a cheat just in many cases including my own a better way to improve my connection and maintain a stable line.  I get the benefit of BTWIFI when out and about but I do not benfit like many that use there own BTWIFI connection if they are about to exceed their usage limit

Both are acceptable and are not a cheat

you cannot connect to openzone when outside the UK with your free BTFON

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rp2000
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

So I can't use the free Bt Wifi outside UK, that is my main interest.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/free-wifi

This page implies I get to hotspots home and abroad, just by being a broadband customer.  I want to replace the router becuase it is a bit rubbish for my needs.

Basically I want to use the roaming wifi partners in Spain, just need to know whetehr this working is dependant on me using the HH3 and being opted in or whetehr these 2 things are not linked.

rp2000

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

as long as you are opted in regardless of router you use your can use partner FON sites in any country with your free access but Openzone only is free in the UK

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

As long as you are opted in you can use Fon in Spain. See link for Fon hotspots.

http://maps.fon.com/