Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Steeevo
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Bt box connected with ethernet switch strange problem

Hi. I have a strange problem. I have a 5 port tp link network switch that works fine with the bt box but needed more ports so i got the same tp link 8 port switch and now the bt box cant receive my subsribrion channels and bt sport???

If i put the 5 port switch back on it works???

5-port TL-SG105
8-port TL-SG108
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bt box connected with ethernet switch strange problem

@Steeevo wrote:
Hi. I have a strange problem. I have a 5 port tp link network switch that works fine with the bt box but needed more ports so i got the same tp link 8 port switch and now the bt box cant receive my subsribrion channels and bt sport???

If i put the 5 port switch back on it works???

5-port TL-SG105
8-port TL-SG108

They both support IGMP snooping function, so they should work. What happens if you do not connect anything else to the switch, just a single input and output?

What else are you connecting to the switch, that may be upsetting the IGMP snooping?

Have you tried a power reset on the switch after its connected up, so it initialises correctly?

0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 10

As @Keith_Beddoe says they should both work but in truth almost any switch should work but those that support IGMP Snooping prevent all the other devices on the network from being flooded with the multicast transmission.

WIth the 8-port in place do all the other connected devices see the internet and does the Youview box get the catchup players?

I'd also try a reboot of the Hub & the Youview box as that can sometimes set things straight with the BT TV Subscription channels.

0 Ratings
Steeevo
Beginner
Message 4 of 10

Hi. With only the bt box connected to the 8 port switch none of the subsribtion channels work but catch up works fine

All other devices work as normal with either switch apple tv/marantz amplifier/ xbox/tv
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

Have you tried rebooting both Hub & YV box yet?

0 Ratings
Steeevo
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

I rebooted the ethernet switch and box with everything connected and it worked for a few minutes then bt sport stopped working and i got the black screen again. So i only plugged in the bt box ethernet to the switch and rebooted both again and it worked for 30 mins then i added the xbox, apple tv, amp, tv, and access point and After about 5 mins the picture froze and now all the subscribtion channels dont work
0 Ratings
Steeevo
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

So i removed all ethernets and tried one by one and i think it is the access point. It all works fine if i revert back to the 5 port switch but doesnt work with the 8 port switch????????

With the 8 port switch i plug in the access point the picture freezes after about 3 minutes and goes black then the only way to get it back is reboot the bt box without the access point connected to the switch
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 10

You've started referring to "access point" , so just how is this all configured? Not using powerline adapters from the hub to where the Youview box is or something similar?

0 Ratings
Steeevo
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

The you view box is connected to the switch and the switch direct to the router

From the switch i have an ethernet going to several other devices including an access point in my garage so i get wifi in the garden.
0 Ratings
TimCurtis
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 10

What if you connect the 5-port as normal and then try the 8-port plugged into the 5-port with the YV box then plugged into that. Just a test not permanent.

I can't see why there should be any difference in the behaviour of the 2 switches unless the 8-port has a fault.

0 Ratings