cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Bt home hub 5 and cordless phones

My wifi had been dropping out semi regularly normally for no more than 5 minutes and I finally figured out that it coincided whenever we received a phone call. After some googling I deduced that the cordless phones we have must operate on the 2.4ghz frequency as well which is interfering with the wifi when ever a call comes in. I went into the hub manager and changed from auto channel to channel 11 but that didn't seem to help, I'm now trying channel 1. Does anyone if there is a particular channel which will fix the problem or will I need to buy a new set of phones which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks very much

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Bt home hub 5 and cordless phones

Do you also lose connection to devices connected by Ethernet? Do the light on the home hub change?

Its unlikely to be the phones, more likely your main Internet connection is dropping when you receive an incoming call.

0 Ratings
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Hi Keith thanks for the quick reply, all the devices we have our connected through wireless. I will run some tests to see what happens when something is connected direct to the ethernet. Normally when a call is received the light on the hub turns from blue to orange.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

If the hub lights change, then its your main Internet connection that is dropping when you receive a call. Have you got a microfilter in the lead to the phone?

Are you on ADSL or Infinity?

0 Ratings
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Yes to the microfiltres on the two phones which are plugged into the phone line (two others are cordless). According to our account we have Unlimited Broadband with BT Infinity 2.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

You also need a filter for the cordless base station.

0 Ratings
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

but the cordless phones only plug into the power.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

The base station must also plug in to the phone line or how will they work?

0 Ratings
Dippu
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

You only need the main telephone base plugged into the phone socket. Because the phones are wireless the other phone only needs power. For example, set of 4 wireless phones will have 4 bases but only one the main base that needs the telephone socket and this base has to have the filter. The remaining 3 bases only need power.
0 Ratings
wej20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Sorry the base station was one of the two phones that have been plugged in complete with microfiltres.

0 Ratings