cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Bt hub 2 swap for netgear nighthawk

Go to solution

Hello just after a bit of help  got my fibre install today working great but the home hub wireless and speed not cutting It I’m thinking of  swapping it for the nighthawk RAX200 I was using on my virgin media set what I would like to know would my parental setting still work if I remove the home hub 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Bt hub 2 swap for netgear nighthawk

Go to solution

@omar_r6 

Depends what fibre you've got as the Nighthawk is just a router, so if you've got fibre to the home with a separate modem (ONT) it'll work otherwise not.

If you've got G.Fast then there's only one3rd party  modem/router that seems to support that and that's the Asus DSL-AC88U.

So what fibre do you have?

Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Full fibre 900 fibre to the house and it’s on the wall with a box with my old virgin media I was able to use my netgear night hawk and still have my virgin media parent settings working, But with Bt I don’t know if it will work I want to use my netgear and still have the Bt parental controls working. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

your netgear should work with ONT settings need to be pppoe with username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and any password

did you get digital voice when you got FTTP installed?  if so then it will only work with SH2 connected as hub is a dect base station for phones

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@omar_r6  Router based parental settings will still work, network based parental settings will require the use of BT's DNS servers.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

@imjolly didn’t get a digital phone just the broadband only. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

@TimCurtis Full fibre 900 fibre to the house and it’s on the wall with a box with my old virgin media I was able to use my netgear night hawk and still have my virgin media parent settings working, But with Bt I don’t know if it will work I want to use my netgear and still have the Bt parental controls working. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

See message 5

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hello, im in the process of doing the same type of thing, I have a bt home hub 2 on 900mbs but the outcome from the router is only 450 BT engineers have been here and advised trying a new router. I have tried the Nighthawk AX6600 that then brings my speeds to 700-800 so thats that side fixed.

Next problem as you asked about is the digital phone that now wont connect. I have an ethernet form the router to the home hub the light on the disk is blue the phone registers but cant accept or make calls, please explain how I can fix this and what is the SH2 thank you

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@Llionj 

The Digital Phones will only connect to the Smart Hub 2 (SH2) using DECT, which has to be the one directly connected to the Optical modem, it cannot be connected via another router.

0 Ratings