cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xemnes
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Bt hub 5 wifi connectivity issues constantly

hello, i hope to get some help as this is driving me crazy... my parents are quite dismissive of the problem and tell me to leave it alone so id thought id seek help from people who knew more about my issues and hope to help me solve them.

basically, initally our problem was the smart wireless was causing our apple devices to not be able to connect so i turned it off. this was fine for a while until the hub updated to 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (which is aparently the latest for type A hubs). now the 2.4ghz band will constantly freeze all day making only the 5ghz band usable but apple devices in the household wont stay connected tothe 5ghz band. ive tried everything to make the 2.4ghz band consistently usable but nothing seems to work, the connection issue persistent even after a restart... changing the channel does absoutely nothing...

having to restart almost feels like a chore in itself due to how slow the hub 5 takes to restart, im assuming this is because of the dual band wireless.

i hope someone can help with this problem.

thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Xemnes
Beginner
Message 2 of 10

Re: Bt hub 5 wifi connectivity issues constantly

Still need help with this issue

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

so is your internet connection ok and stable just a problem with your 2.4ghz wifi?  if so did you try a factory reset using the recessed button on the back and holding 20/30 secs until lights flash

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

The best advice is to buy a decent VDSL modem/router and throw the Homehub 5 in the bin.

If you don't mind having 2 boxes you could buy an Openreach modem from an auction site and buy a third party router with a WAN port and connect that to the Openreach modem.

Either way it will cost about £70 but it will undoubtedly perform better than any of the Homehub set ups and you will not be subjected to software "upgrades" pushed to your Homehub by BT.

0 Ratings
ascender
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

We moved to Business Broadband this week and got a Homehub 5 sent out. Previously I was using an Apple Time Capsule connected to the Openreach modem, but was keen to give HH5 a go. Unfortunately we had the same problems as you with the 5GHz band and Apple devices and our Canon wireless printer wouldn't work with it either. Have now plugged the old Openreach modem in and are back on the Time Capsule - everything is working ok.

I did speak with BT support, but the call quickly went the usual way where they start looking at everything other than the home hub itself and so after a while I just gave up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@ascender wrote:

We moved to Business Broadband this week and got a Homehub 5 sent out. Previously I was using an Apple Time Capsule connected to the Openreach modem, but was keen to give HH5 a go. Unfortunately we had the same problems as you with the 5GHz band and Apple devices and our Canon wireless printer wouldn't work with it either. Have now plugged the old Openreach modem in and are back on the Time Capsule - everything is working ok.

I did speak with BT support, but the call quickly went the usual way where they start looking at everything other than the home hub itself and so after a while I just gave up.

Welcome to the BT Residential Customers forum

As you are a business user, please could you post on the BT Business forum at http://business.forums.bt.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Xemnes
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

the internet connection is perfectly fine, we had an openreach man come out to check our line and he gave us a hub 5 and took our hub 3 away which was much better. the guy said that the hub 5 was much better. i have done 4 factory resets using the button and it hasnt done a thing.

0 Ratings
Xemnes
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

problem is if i got a new router to replace the hub, i would have no idea how to set it up. we used to have a hub 3 with an openreach box but our openreach box was faulty which both had been replaced with a hub 5.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

If you do decide to buy a decent VDSLmodem/router they are very easy to set up. Some are virtually plug and play and at most require just entering a password and user name which you will get from this forum if you go down that route.

0 Ratings
ascender
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Lol, ok, if you insist.... * insert confused smiley *

0 Ratings