Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ewan1Highland
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Bt router as extender

Hi

I am new to this malarky but I have just got bt fibre with a smart hub 6 , out to my home office I have a tp link extender but it will not reach through the wall to my  garage , The tp link has an ethernet  socket on it and I was wondering if I could cable this to the redundant home hub 4 and use that to extend to the garage , and if so  will it work, ethernet to WAN, I have tried to access the  admin with my  i pad but it does not seem to work, any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Ewan

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Bt router as extender

Give the hub 4 an IP address outside of the DHCP range of the hub 6 (eg 192.168.1.10), turn off DHCP on the hub 4 and connect to one of the LAN ports not the WAN port.

0 Ratings
Ewan1Highland
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Tried that but while applying the changes the page gave a time out error now will not respond to 254 or 10? 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

It will time out after you have changed the address as you have just sawn off the branch you are sitting on, however, you should be able to re-connect at 192.168.1.10 Were you trying to connect with a device connected directly to the hub4 or via the hub6? Try the opposite way.

0 Ratings