cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WhatAmISupposedToDo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Bufferbloat Issues.

Hi, for about about a year now my home network has been suffering with bufferbloat. I've visited this forum several times to try and find a solution however I have concluded one other than completely disconnecting the rest of my family from the router.

I have the TD-W9970 which is what I was reccommended in the past.

I've tried to tackle bufferbloat with the "rate limit method" where you decrease the broadband speed in order to prevent packet buffering however this does not work for me. I have 56Mb down | 19Mb up. Even when I limit this way below what's acceptable it does not fix the problem.

I've literally tried hundreds of different configurations with bandwidth controls however nothing has acheived a smooth connection and every time I phone up BT they just "reset the line" to "fix it" however they never have and I tell them that every single time yet they continue to do the same thing.

I can provide any pictures/information on my setup if asked.

Thanks in advance,

Me.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Bufferbloat Issues.

You are going about it the wrong way.

Its the upload rate and priority of all the other devices on the network that you need to change, not your own connection.

Limit max upload speed on all other devices to about 5% of the total upload bandwidth. Minimum upload to 10Kbs, priority 8.

Your connection max upload rate, minumum about 80% of upload rate, priority1.

0 Ratings
WhatAmISupposedToDo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

I have tried these, I was referencing the overall download and upload speed of the entire network. I have made sure every device on the network is assigned a permanent ip and placed into the queue with a limited amount of bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

The settings I have just given you, are a good starting point.

That is all I can suggest.

0 Ratings
WhatAmISupposedToDo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Alright, well thanks for your time.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Did you resolve this problem ?  to me it looks like BT are buffering up packets when your connection is under load.

0 Ratings
WhatAmISupposedToDo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Hi!
No my problem is not resolved :(, and has been bugging my family for almost a year now. Our connection commonly disconnects and has latency problems when more than one person is using the Internet.

I don’t know what that means but is there anything we can do about it. If that’s the case?
0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Oh ok, sorry to hear you didn't sort out your problems, what you describe sounds  a lot like the below thread -

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/Recent-online-gaming-ping-spikes-when-streaming...

Although your disconnects may also be an additional problem. I've been looking at my connection and having latency problems when a moderate load is put on the BT connection, this has been solved although I have no idea what BT did to solve it, nothing was changed at my end.

What I did see was my route changing to the same destination IP address I've been pinging from the very start, suggesting to me the problem was the BT network - the ISP side is / was just over subscribed or they have core network routing problems.

One solution I've seen to this was to just swap ISPs, although for myself my contract runs out in Jan 2020, so unless I wanted to pay the exit fees I couldn't leave. I was arguing to leave BT based on them being in breach of their terms and conditions and them claiming my connection was "perfect for gaming" when it wasn't.

I'd certainly phone BT and get an engineer to visit to check out your line especially if your seeing disconnects,  also as I've done use a ping utility that graphs your ping, such as the below - pinglogger. co . uk

So running the exact same test my connection it has gone from this -

intelNIC.png

to this -

fixedBT.png

0 Ratings
WhatAmISupposedToDo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

I have downloaded that freeware and done the test myself. I changed the interval to 100ms and these are my results.

When connection on idle:ping on idle.pngand my connection on load:

ping on load.png

My ping, even when only one tv is streaming, can reach as high as 1500ms, this even happens when i limit my tv to use a max of 1MB a second up/down.

When we contact BT, they "acknowledge" the problem and "don't require an engineer" to fix it. They claim they "reset" the line, although this has never fixed anything, short or long term, and despite telling them this, they just repeat the same steps.

0 Ratings
dubstepzombie
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

My test was with an interval of 500ms so I reckon you're seeing the exact same issue as what I was, a line reset is worth having done if it's no hassle, but as you say it'll probably make no difference.

Personally I think the BT network is just over subscribed and they're using some technology to maintain a speed which is what everyone seems to focus on, whether that's buffering packets, flow control into their core network, traffic shaping or whatever the end result is what you're seeing.

You could also try ping tracer if you want to, google for 'github ping tracer 1.8', this does a trace route then pings / graphs each hop. What I found with this utility was the ping spikes were happening very early in the route, so either the cabinet to the exchange, exchange to BT network or at BT network edge / IP routers.

Looking at your idle graph that's bad, are you sure your network is idle ? Not sure if you're fimiliar with Wireshark but that's really useful for observing traffic on your PC i.e. use to ensure your network is truly idle, there's so many things these days that run in the background consuming network bandwidth. Alternatively google for 'tcpview sysinternals', this shows active connections and what service / exe is behind the connection.

I'd also turn off Wifi or certainly turn off 'BT FON/Openzone', I don't use a homehub or active Wifi for the reason you never really know what Wifi is doing, or at least turn off to see if that smoothes out your idle graph. I don't know much about Openzone but I believe someone can connect to it with an appropriate account and consume bandwidth, from googling quickly I think it's a setting on the homehub ?

0 Ratings