Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 6

Bypassing the router?

Go to solution

I'm using a HH5 connected to the Openreach router I've had since I went over to Infinity 1 and then 2 ( I had a HH3 and then bought a HH4 and 5 on a well-known auction site).  I have two YouView boxes (retail) and a streaming box for internet radio.  I use 2 iPhones and an iPad on wifi.  It all works and the down stream is solid at 64-6MBs.  I need a couple more ethernet connections - and I was wondering about putting the fixed machines on a switch direct from the modem - and those connections would be hidden away.  That would free three sockets on the HH5.  In fact I would then use the HH5 for wifi only

Any problems to forecast before I start ferreting under things?

Geoff

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bypassing the router?

Go to solution

You can add an Ethernet switch to one of the home hub 5 ports, and connect additional devices to that switch.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Yes, you need to connect the switch to the LAN side of the Hub rather than the modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

But if I were using only one device I could do that direct to the router?  The clue is in the name (router)!  I just wish the BT kit wasn't so clumsy - the hubs are lighter than the cables connected to them.

Thanks to both for the advice.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

The Openreach device is a Modem, not a router, unless you have unlocked it and re-configured it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Not touched it - it went in years ago and is (touch wood) a very dependable piece of equipment.   Things are so solid, compared to many who post here, that I'm reluctant to change things. Actually I did last year, connected the telephone line direct to the hub and lost about 5MBs in speed - went back very quickly.  But wiring is getting rather bird nesty - O for a 19" rack system.

0 Ratings