cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Cable help, FTTP router to Hub

Speed to the router 149mb, speed to the Hub 145mb. Brilliant. But the hub is in a cupboard at the far end of the house and we cant get good wifi everywhere even with 3 discs.

So I moved the Hub to the centre of the house but had to buy my own longer (15m) cable to reach. Now the speed to Hub is inly 75mb.

The cable I used is Network patch cable 6e 4pr etl cat 6e tia/eia 568b 131m. And I had to fit an RJ45 plug on one end.

Could someone tell me, please, if the cable is the correct one?

And if it is (so the cable itself is not the problem) is it possible to have some error in the wiring of the connecter that still allows the wifi to work, but at half speed?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cable help, FTTP router to Hub

No such thing as Cat 6e, as far as I know.  Do you mean 5e or possibly 6a?

Anyway, 568b is correct, but it requires all 8 wires connected to get gigabit speeds.  It is possible, if the right 4 wires are connected, to get 100Mb/s.

Sounds like one of your connections is duff.  Did you put a tester on it after you terminated it?  If I were you, I’d chop the plug off and do it again.  And don’t forget it might even be the plug at the other end.

Message 3 of 4

It seems the "Edit" button has disappeared.

Anyway, I've just noticed that you mention 131m.  If that's 131 metres length then that may be part of your problem.  Cat 5e/6 is only spec'ed to 100m.

Message 4 of 4

Posts can only be edited for 1 hour after posting.

0 Ratings