cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Cable openreach modem

Hi, I'm getting bt fibre installed next week. The master socket is downstairs and I'm looking the engineer to run a cable in the upstairs room where the modem/router will be. I'm guessing the bt hub will be useless for wifi so might need to use my own router with an openreach modem i bought. However, openreach modem has a dsl port that rj11 cable serves and the master socket has 2 ports, 1 for normal phone line and possibly rj45/ethernet cable. Whats the best way to get this cabled etc to have a choice of both bt hub and my own router? Thanks
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Cable openreach modem

the filtered master socket will have phone connection and rj11 connection

do you have an existing broadband connection and just moving provider?  normally only get engineer visit if there is not an existing openreach phone conenction in your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

Moving from virgin. Bt internet was previously in the home. The master socket port is a bit bigger than the rj11. Ethernet cat5/6 size i think.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

then normal Openreach master socket is phone connection and rj11 socket for dsl

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

I think on the new sockets the DSL socket is RJ45 rather than RJ11, but RJ11 plug fits RJ45 socket but not vice versa in any case.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 19

Thats what I was thinking, if i want the long lead to stretch upstairs from master socket. The rj11 might fit into the rj45 port but not into the openreach modem etc. Does that mean it would have to be 2 long cables cabled from master socket to upstairs? Ie 1 cable with both rj11 and rj45 ends on it if possible, and another long ethernet cable from master socket to upstairs hub that might be rj45 port in the back of the bt hub etc?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

@licquorice wrote:

I think on the new sockets the DSL socket is RJ45 rather than RJ11, but RJ11 plug fits RJ45 socket but not vice versa in any case.

@licquorice  you are right  I have a spare 5c and the ethernet/rj11 fit the dsl socket

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

You have 3 options.

1. Place the modem adjacent to the master and the router where you want it. You will require a short RJ11-RJ11 lead to connect modem to master socket and long RJ45 - RJ45 to connect modem to router.

2. Place modem adjacent to router. You will require a long RJ11 - RJ11 lead to connect master socket to modem and short RJ45 - RJ45 to connect modem to router.

3. Using CW1308  telephone cable, wire from the data extension terminals of the master socket to a new RJ11 socket located where modem and router are required. Connect modem to RJ11 socket with short RJ11 - RJ11 cable and to router with short RJ45 - RJ45 cable.

Beginner
Message 9 of 19

Option 1/2 might be easiest. For option 1, I dont know what the port of the bt hub is. If its rj45 ethernet, would that solve being able use that upstairs if modem doesnt work? Should it be a simple rj45 from hub to rj45 in master socket?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

If you intend using the hub on its own then it just requires an RJ11 - RJ11 connection from the DSL socket on the hub to the DSL socket on the master.

If you are using your own router, you don't need the hub at all.

0 Ratings