cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gaz2
Beginner
Message 11 of 19

Re: Cable openreach modem

Thanks for the info, not clued up in these things tbh. So either way its probably better to get the engineer to run a long rj11 to rj11 cable from rj45 master socket to upstairs modem or hub(presumably thats the port on it also), will the rj11 fit the back of hub too if its rj45 port? Then use my own cat5 cable from modem to the router? Will there be much speed loss over the rj11 cable compared to cat5/6 etc?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 19

As @imjolly has already said, if you already have a master socket an engineer won't visit. Any internal cabling from the master socket you will have to do yourself unless you have paid extra for an engineer install.

DSL connectivity is RJ11 regardless of what device you are using. Modem to router is RJ45.

It is always better to have as short a RJ11 connection as possible.

0 Ratings
Gaz2
Beginner
Message 13 of 19

Thanks. When talking via the online chat the bt woman said they will send an engineer as the phoneline needed connected again. I explained to her about running a line from the master socket upstairs as thats where i wanted the modem/router based. She said the engineer will do this free of charge as it was classified as a new free installation?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 19

@Gaz2

Be interesting to know if you actually do get engineer visit and a socket rewire

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mychips
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

We had issues with where our BT socket was and initially used a long RJ11 cable to a BT Hub but was unstable even with a quality cable. In the end i went for a Draytek Vigor Modem then used a long Cat7 cable from there to the Router TP-Link TL-R600VPN. Our set up is in the Cellar and so could go directly though the floor to the Modem, since i have had this set up (There is more but not relavent to this thread) its been extreamly stable so the key i found is to have the shortest RJ11 cable from modem to BT house socket and never to use extenstions or long lengths of RJ11.

Hope this helps

Gaz2
Beginner
Message 16 of 19

That does help, thanks. If the engineer is going to run a long rj11 cable (possible speed problems) i might just get him to use a small rj11 cable from the socket to the hall where i can put the modem/hub and possibly the router. I take it the engineer won't run any cat5, 6,7 cable upstairs? Would that be up to me to sort out?
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 17 of 19

@Gaz2

You mentioned in post 13 that you had an online chat with someone at BT, did you keep the chat log? 

Assuming the Engineer does come out the best possible scenario is that they will move your existing socket to a better location using CW1308 at no charge to yourself.  I would suggest that IF the engineer does arrive to politely expain the socket location being an issue, and ask if he/she can move it for you. 

The reason for asking about the log was that you have a record of the visit being Free of Charge. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
mychips
Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Taking into account Message 17 and that BT will move your socket for free that could be an ideal solution, other than that you would have to supply your own Cat cable to transfer from modem to seperate router in the house. 

0 Ratings
Gaz2
Beginner
Message 19 of 19

I didnt keep a record of the chat log. It says on my order form Landline engineer visit status confirmed. Then below that the date and time of the appointment followed by What will happen, "This is when our engineer will come to your home and install your landline. Our engineer will install your phone line and broadband"?
0 Ratings