cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Cable to BT Smart Hub 2

Which type of ethernet cable should I buy to my new Smart Hub 2? Just says "Cable with grey end..."s and none of my old yellow cables seem to fit

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cable to BT Smart Hub 2

ethernet cable fitting is standard  probably cat6 cable

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Thank you. Is it RJ11? Or RJ45?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

If you mean the grey DSL cable that you connect to the master socket rather than Ethernet, it is an RJ11 - RJ11 cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

if it is cable from hub to phone socket then rj11 but if ethernet then rj45

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

It is from phone socket to Smart Hub so I guess RJ11. Many thanks for your help! Quite cross that BT didn't include the cable in the delivery or at least pointed out which cable to buy... 😞
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

annica,

How many sockets are there on your 'phone socket? Is it just one, or is it 2, of different shapes?

If just one (like mine), it's apparently *very old*, and I think you have to plug an ADSL filter into it. Out of the ADSL filter there'll be 2 sockets, of different shapes, one called "telephone" and one called "ADSL" (or similar).

If 2, one goes to your Hub, and one goes to your 'phone (if you're using a landline telephone).

I think "RJ11" and "RJ45" refer to the shapes of the little plugs on the ends of the cable, and "CAT5", "CAT6", etc, refer to the quality of the cable.

0 Ratings