cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davesmith88
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Can BT-branded Phone Cause Broadband to Stop Working?

Technical question here!  Hoping for some knowledge from some experts if possible...

I'll cut the story down to the basics.  Our broadband and phone line was installed in our new build property and worked fine.  A few hours later and there was no dial tone and no broadband connection.

After an engineer visited, he did a 'reset' of the line and, as an aside, informed us that some of older models of the BT-branded phones weren't compatible with the newer lines and we would need to phone up with the serial number to address this.

Current state of affairs - broadband working wonderfully and phone still not working as we haven't called up or replaced the phone as yet (not really bothered about this).

The technical question - could the 'incompatible' phone have caused the broadband connection to be lost?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can BT-branded Phone Cause Broadband to Stop Working?

I somehow doubt what the engineer has told you. Your phone line should work with any BT phone. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

Agreed, complete load of tosh.
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 4 of 8

I think if its a really really old phone, ie an old pulse tone phone I'm not sure they will still work. Pulse tone is the old system where you heard the pips when dialing rather than tones but I thought that had been removed many years ago...
0 Ratings
davesmith88
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

It's a BT Graphite 2500 phone so it's hardly that old really.  Aparently it's something to do with the new boxes that these don't work sometimes?  

So there is the initial question of whether this is correct in relation to the phone not working with the new box/line setups and then there's the one of, if this is true, could this stop the broadband from working (even though it's working now with exactly the same setup!).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Is your master phone socket one of these?

newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Your phone should work with the BT line. If your phone is not working and assuming that the phone its self is not faulty, there is a fault with your line that the engineer should have sorted rather than fobbing you off with the rubbish he told you.

Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 8

"Reset the line" that's a good one. Not heard that excuse for a while.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings