cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Can I block vpn passthrough on BTHH5

Hi Folks

I am wanting to block use of vpn's on my home network as my son is using these to bypass the BT filtering I have setup.  If I am not able to do this can anyone recomend a way of doing it.

Cheers

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I block vpn passthrough on BTHH5

I think the only way you could do that would be to block the ports that the VPN uses however I don't think you can do that on the Homehub. It may be that somebody else will be able to advise if they have managed it.

One parental control which is a bit drastic and affects all users of the network but does work is to switch off the Homehub until your son learns not to bypass the filters that you have put in place. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

@cjpmcglinchey wrote:

Hi Folks

I am wanting to block use of vpn's on my home network as my son is using these to bypass the BT filtering I have setup.  If I am not able to do this can anyone recomend a way of doing it.

Cheers

I assume that you have BT Parental Controls activated on your account?

You should be able to add the web address of the VPN server(s), to your list of blocked sites.

0 Ratings
psm1969
Message 4 of 6

My son is doing the same thing....not being tech savvy we don't know how to stop him apart from pulling the router and stopping broadband altogether...not a practical solution.  Is there some way to stop this...the trouble is that they know how to reset the router if we change the password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

You are replying to a three year old post, however,  trying to defeat kids with technology is futile. Unless you can prevent physical access to the router you are wasting your time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@psm1969

BTs Network Based parental controls, may give you the option of blocking VPNs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768/~/how-to-keep-your-family-safe-online-with-bt-p...

Another option is to use a third part router, and OpenDNS, that gives you the option to block VPNs and proxy servers. You can also block websites on the router itself, if needed.

A reset of a third party router, would simply result in no Internet access, as the configuration would be lost, so there would be nothing to gain from it.

0 Ratings