Message 1 of 7

Can I have 2nd router with Ethernet connection

Go to solution

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I have 2nd router with Ethernet connection

Go to solution

You can't connect 2 routers to one broadband connection.

Perhaps if you were to elaborate on what exactly it is you wish to achieve, we might be able to help.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Depends what you are trying to achieve.  If the idea is to get more speed by having two connections, then no you can’t.  You can’t have two routers connected to the same internet connection, as Liquorice points out.

However, you can have the ISP router connected to the internet and then it’s LAN providing the feed into the EWAN port on your own router, so you can effectively continue to use your own router.  You may have seen this on the Internet, which where I think the confusion comes from.

Both would need to be on separate networks, say 192.168.0.x for your router and 192.168.1.x for the ISP’s, with your router using the ISP’s router as its gateway address.  There are one or two other factors to take into account as well.  It's not a simple setup.

I’ve used the same technique years ago, to run an ADSL only Billion 7800 through a Home Hub 5 when FTTC/VDSL first came out.  Worked fine for 18 months, until I replaced the Billion with a Draytek.  It’s do-able but probably beyond the average home user.  (No offense intended).

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

My daughter is working from home and her set up means she needs Ethernet connection for her computer. The router is in the sitting room and too far away from her bedroom 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Buy a pair of power line adaptors and use them. 

BT Broadband Extender Flex 600 Kit (084285) | BT Shop

You do not need to use BT ones. 

Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Just get a pair of powerline adapters to extend the Ethernet socket on the router to her bedroom.

Have a look at  https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/powerline/tl-wpa4220-kit/ they will provide an Ethernet socket and wifi.

Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Ah, so are you trying to put a wireless point closer to her or get a cable connection to her?

You mention Ethernet, so I’m going to go with the latter.  Ethernet is spec’ed to reach 100m without significant signal loss.  You should be able to go round the average house two or three times with that.  Basically, what you want a long Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable.  If she needs more than one connection at her end then you need a “Switch” connected on the end.  Make sure it is a gigabit rated switch.  Personally, I think the 8 port units are better value than the 5 port ones.  You should get one for under £20 these days.

If getting a cable to her is the problem, then “Powerline Adapters” are probably your best option.  These will pass the signal through the mains wiring (assuming it all goes through the same meter).  The better-quality ones can produce quite good speeds but I’d avoid the cheap ones.