Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
virtuosity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Can I simply order a HH5?

Go to solution

Hi

I have been plagued with connectivity issues since I received my HH3 a couple years back - it just randomly stops working every so often, then I restart both routers (wired + hub), and it's fine. A bit of a pain, but I can live with it - however, it drives my wife mad, particularly when I work away.

I'm just wondering if I can simply just upgrade to HH5? Do I just order one? Does anyone know how to do this online? I don't want to call BT, cos their customer service just plain sucks, and I am trying to cut stress out of my life...

However, am I better off sticking with my trusted (if not, somewhat unreliable - albeit fixable!) HH3? views?

All my devices at home are Apple.

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can I simply order a HH5?

Go to solution

To be honest, many people here would advise that you get a 3rd party router.

You can ask BT for a HH5, but you will normally have to pay towards the cost, and renew your contract. I don`t think you can do it online.

I assume that you have an Infinity connection with an Openreach modem?

If you want an all in one solution, as an alternative to the HH5, its worth considering the TP-LINK  TD-W9980. You will no longer have to use the Openreach modem.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Discussions/TP-LINK-N600-TD-W9980/m-p/1525067#M112995

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

check to see if HH3b  if so then this applies 

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Discussions/HH3-Infinity-Local-WiFi-Channel-fade/m-p/144...

You could always phone customer services and ask for a hub replacement.  I wouldn'y buy a hh5.  if you cannot get it for free than look at alternatives - popular is tplink 9980

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

You can buy them from the BT Shop, but they are seriously pricy http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-home-hub-5-90RY.html  or you could get one much cheaper from fleabay.

If you're willing to accept a new 12 month contract, you may be able to haggle one as part of a contract renewal.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

They're overpriced when free.

0 Ratings
virtuosity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

ha ha, seriously!!?

I haven't spent much time on these forums, but from talking to colleagues I was under the impression that it was a serious piece of kit!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I would not buy one  I use a hh5a and works for me but it was free

you can try customer services and you may get a free upgrade with just paying the £6.95 for postage   so if no good for you then only cost £6.95

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
virtuosity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you for the responses guys - I certainly wasn't thinking of buying a HH5, I was hoping BT would give me one - especially as I've just renewed my commitment (to receive BT Sport discount) for another 12 months. That was more my question, as to whether I simply ring them up and ask them for one, or would I have to probably pay?

If I am going to pay, it seems the TP Link one is the way to go I guess...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

there is no free hh5 when you re-contract - these days have passed   best you will get is pay the postage but you need to do that when re-contracting your broadband

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

@virtuosity wrote:

Thank you for the responses guys - I certainly wasn't thinking of buying a HH5, I was hoping BT would give me one - especially as I've just renewed my commitment (to receive BT Sport discount) for another 12 months. That was more my question, as to whether I simply ring them up and ask them for one, or would I have to probably pay?

If I am going to pay, it seems the TP Link one is the way to go I guess...

I'm afraid we still don't have the flying pig smiley on this forum.

BT don't just give away Home Hubs without something in return.  If you have just committed to a 12 month contract, then you missed your chance.

0 Ratings