cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Can I use 2 different ADSL ports in my home?

I want to limit bandwidth on some devices but the BT smart hub 2 isn't able to do that. I'm planning on getting a cheap TP Link modem+router WiFi that has bandwidth limiter feature.

I still want to use the smart hub 2 as the main WiFi with it using the ADSL port inside my storage room, I want the TP Link modem+router to be some sort of guest WiFi with a slightly altered SSID using another ADSL port somewhere else in my home.

So would I be able to use 2 different ADSL ports in my home simultaneously without any issues? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Can I use 2 different ADSL ports in my home?

No, you can't do that.

But you can either configure the TP Link as a wireless access point by connecting it to the BT hub LAN port to LAN port or configure it as a second router with its own subnet by connecting it to the BT Hub LAN port to TP Link WAN port.

You certainly don't need a combined modem/router and if just wanting a wireless access point, nor do you need another router, just a WAP.

Message 3 of 9

@omgitzmo 

No, you can only use one modem/router connected to your line.

The TP Link TD-W9970 has the bandwidth controls you need, and a separate guest network. You could also use the smart hub 2 as a simple  wireless access point, but it would need to be physically connected to the TP link, using either an Ethernet cable or powerline adapters.

The TP link can only implement bandwidth controls if its directly connected to the DSL line, it will not work if used as a wireless access point.

I assume you have an ADSL connection?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Yes it's that grey ADSL cable that goes in to the back of the smart hub 2.

That TP Link you linked no pun intended is what I was looking at. I'm kind of hesitant to make that my main router because it'll mean my single black BT WiFi extender disc will stop working but the second point is will it have inferior performance to the smart hub 2?

That's my first option, my second option is just getting a good TP Link/ASUS WiFi 6 router with bandwidth limiter and using that £30 TP Link as a modem in modem only mode since the smart hub doesn't have that function.

I don't know if its worth it to do all this just for 1-2 device having it's bandwidth limited. I looked into minor options like getting a cheap WiFi extender with bandwidth limiter and slightly altering the extender's SSID but I've looked everywhere and I don't think it exists.

The second minor option was using 2 ADSL ports but that's out of the question. I've looked at bandwidth limiter applications but that's more of a hassle. Any advice?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@omgitzmo 

If you only have an ADSL connection, then your download speed is not going to be that good, as 19Mbs is about the best you will get, even right next to the exchange. The upload speed is unlikely to be greater than 1Mb, so you do not really have much bandwidth to play with anyway.

Wi-Fi 6 would be a total waste of money with only that speed.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

I've got the superfast 2 plan with 70mbps, I was hoping to limit some devices to ~1mbps so it can't be misused.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@omgitzmo wrote:
I've got the superfast 2 plan with 70mbps, I was hoping to limit some devices to ~1mbps so it can't be misused.

So you have a "fibre" connection, not ADSL.

The W9970 copes with that speed, my daughter has that speed in her new house, and the W9970. Not had to use the bandwidth controls there, but needed them in her old house as connection was only 40Mbs.

Yes, you can limit devices to as low as 1Mbs, but you will not be popular. Its best to simply allocate devices according to priority, with priority 8 being the lowest. That allows full bandwidth if nobody else is using the connection.

There are better options than the black extender discs, but if you are paying for them, then they may work with the home hub if its used as a wireless access point.

I remote manage her router.

Current stats.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@omgitzmo bear in mind the 9970 is s single band device, it doesn't have 5 GHz WiFi.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

@licquorice wrote:

@omgitzmo bear in mind the 9970 is s single band device, it doesn't have 5 GHz WiFi.

But you could connect it to the Smart Hub 2.

My daughter uses a wireless mesh connected to the TP Link, that has both 2.4 and 5GHz Wi-Fi, so the TP link wireless is not used.

Bandwidth controls on the TP Link are based on the IP address of the connecting device, so you do have to reserve the addresses, or use static IP addresses on the device. 

0 Ratings