cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JordanJJ12
Message 1 of 6

Can I use BTWiFi-with-FON free of charge while waiting for an engineer to install my broadband?

Hi,

I am currently with TalkTalk but looking to come to BT because of the woeful service I got from them and I have a question I need answered before I make the switch.

When I go to process my order my earliest date for an engineer to come to my home is around 4 weeks from now which means I won't have internet access during that time, but I noticed today I am in a BTWiFi-with-FON hotspot which is universally free for all BT members (I believe). Would I be able to benefit from this service as soon as I make my order? And not have to wait for an engineer to come out before I have any internet access at all?

Surely when I click confirm and I have a username and password I am considered a member and should have access to use these hotspots like any other ordinary member...?

I tried calling your customer service lines but they had no clue what I was talking about so figured I would try here.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I use BTWiFi-with-FON free of charge while waiting for an engineer to install my broadband?

Hi until your service goes live you cannot access BT WiFi for free
0 Ratings
JordanJJ12
Message 3 of 6

Re: Can I use BTWiFi-with-FON free of charge while waiting for an engineer to install my broadband?

Care to explain why? That's kind of a deal breaker to me, I can't understand how I'll be essentially signed up for an 18 month contract or whatever it is, like any other paying customer.

I run multiple small online businesses and no internet for 4 weeks is a big issue for me.

I would sign up for BT Infinity today if this was the deal, I noticed you can pay £39 for a months access wi-fi, is there not a way this could be discounted as I would consider doing it this way...

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Your 18 month contract starts when your service is activated, not when you order it.  Although you will have your email address and password they will not work until service activation.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@JordanJJ12 wrote:

I run multiple small online businesses and no internet for 4 weeks is a big issue for me.

I doubt that BT would be swayed by that. This is what the residential broadband T&C say:

Capture.JPG

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

No such thing as a free lunch. Not sure why you think BT would offer you free access to a WiFi network if you were not one of their customer.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings