cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Can i change my router for a non BT one?

Now that i know that the BT Youview Box is setting me up as a victim for every hacker on the planet i want to change my router for a more secure one, one that gives me more port control. If i change my router willI it cause a headache with my BT TV?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Can i change my router for a non BT one?

Provided it will work with BT YouView, and it compatible with your broadband connection, there would be no problem. Not sure why you think YouView is a security risk?

Here are a couple of suggestions.

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band VDSL/ADSL about £67

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_Archer-VR400.html#specifications

If you only want single band wireless, then this one.

The TP-Link TD-W9970 for about £40 or less.

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/products/details/cat-15_TD-W9970.html#specifications

They both work will all BT services, including BT YouView.

The TD-W9970, although cheaper, has a user configurable firewall which is missing on the AC1200.

Contributor
Message 3 of 20

I was under the impression that as a  BT Broadband customer and  to enjoy free use of the BT  Wi-fi hotspots aroundthe country one had to have  one of their routers and enable it to 'contribute'  to these hot spots. Has this changed over the years?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

@drifter wrote:

I was under the impression that as a  BT Broadband customer and  to enjoy free use of the BT  Wi-fi hotspots aroundthe country one had to have  one of their routers and enable it to 'contribute'  to these hot spots. Has this changed over the years?

No, there is no obligation to use a BT Home hub. Provided you are opted in to BT Wifi, you are free to use any BT WiFi hotspot, as its included as part of your contract.

Many people on this forum use third party routers, I use one.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

@drifter wrote:

It has never been the case that one had to have a BT router in order to enjoy free BT wifi, it may be ethically dubious not to contribute but never compulsory.

Contributor
Message 6 of 20

That's very interesting, thank you. My ill founded impression goes back years when BT first launched free Wi-fi zones out of the home and that this was helped by sharing ones signal to make up that network and if you switched that option off on the router you lost your free access to the Wi-fi when out and about. I think it also had a couple of names along with Fone or something. Problem is getting to age when easily confused with all this.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Yes, if you opt out on a BT hub then you will not be able to access BT wifi as the opting out process turns off network access to BT wifi as well as turning off the signal at the hub. Opting out is different to replacing router.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

It used to be just BT Openzone, then FON was added.

BT Openzone is now mainly used by BT Business customers.

You just need to remain Opted In to use the hotspots, this is done via MyBT.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Provided it will work with BT YouView, and it compatible with your broadband connection, there would be no problem. Not sure why you think YouView is a security risk?

Until i upgraded at the new BT Youview box my connection was fully stealthed. With all my ports stealthed none knew my IP address was active, in short i wasn't online to the rest of the world. It made me safe against hackers. The BT Youview box is flawed in that i now have a port (1024) that is not only active, it also responds to pings, the first tool for hacking. In short i have a homing beacon or light at the window telling everyone i'm home. Now if i'm a hacker, under the old setup i would all scan BT ports for a response to locate a victim. Under the new setup all a hacker has to do is ping port 1024 to find a victim. My firewall would probably pick up a full scan of my ports, but most firewalls would fail to identify a single ping to a single port as an attack. Once the hacker gets a reply from port 1024, that's it, job done. From that moment the hacker has found what he was looking for. The hacker can then forget port 1024 and get down to business. Due to limited intellect at BT they have made their entire BTTV customer base a target for every script jocky on the planet.

The problem is a serious one that should have been spotted because it contravenes common sense. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

You cannot ping a port, only an IP address, and the home hub by default, does not respond to pings from the Internet.

0 Ratings