Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ree
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Can not connect Tuya smart plugs to BT hub 2

Go to solution

I have tried turning 5GHz off, changing WPA to Auto, tunring off Smart Setup and every combination of these.

Still can not add a smart plug to the network.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Can not connect Tuya smart plugs to BT hub 2

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum. @Ree 

Change the SSID of the home hub, so that it does not have any non-alphanumeric characters, as some devices do not like the "-" in the SSID.

Change it to something simple, like BThub, then try searching and connecting the smart plug again.

Also the password may be an issue, like in this camera post.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Home-setup-Wi-Fi-network/reolink-cameras/m-p/1945984#M163704

0 Ratings
Ree
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks tried changing one, then the other, then both but sill not connecting.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Do you have a BTWifi disc connected to the Smarthub. If you do try switching the disc off and then re try connecting your smart plugs and if that works re connect the wifi disc.

0 Ratings
Ree
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

No luck. Tried that with and without altering hub settings and password. I don't usually have a problem with these things, but have decided after a week of trying permutations life's too short. They've gone into the recycling bin and I'm using my old timer switches.

0 Ratings
Catita60
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
Don't give up! I felt the same way and tried several times. But decided to have a go again last night, success! Turn the 5ghz off on admin screen, save changes (it keeps whirling saying saving changes- that didn't change throughout process) wait about 5 mins then try and set plugs. It worked for each of them.....Then went back and turned 5ghz back on. Did have a delay and issue reconnecting some appliances to router as kept getting a password incorrect message. Spoke to helpline who suggested a factory reset. But in end I just turned power on/off on router(that magic trick) and everything went back to normal and plugs still worked.....Good luck, hope this helps, it can be very frustrating.
0 Ratings
Ree
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

That one one of the many things I tried before asking the forum, thank you. Doesn't work for me.

0 Ratings
I_Mck
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

There is no need for changing anything on your router at all, or using extenders etc. 
The instructions on the apps and with the plugs are misleading and poor. The discovery can't simply work as the smartplugs out of the box have no idea which wifi network to connect to,  or any passwords etc so they cannot possibly get onto the wifi network, hence the discovery fails.
(The only reason extenders work is because the extenders have the login details for the network so the plugs don't need to know them to get on.)
When using the Apps (either smart life or Tuya smart)  Put the plug into pairing mode by holding the button in for 5 secs until it is flashing quickly. 
1) Press the + sign to add manually
2) Choose Socket
3) Select AP MODE at the top of the screen
It will then ask you to choose the network and password FOR YOUR HOME ROUTER.  When you enter this, it will go to your available wifi network connections and you select smartlife, rather than your home network to connect directly to the plug.
Once connected, the app will pass the network details to the plug which allows it to get onto your network. The app will then disconnect from the plug, reconnect to your home network and run a discovery where it will now find the plug as both the plug and app are now on your home wifi. Simply edit its details to give it a name and its now ready to be connected to the Alex/Google apps.
I hope I have made this clear. It looks complicated, but its actually very simple when using the app  and takes a minute to do. It's just very badly explained in the app.  I'm a network professional and it took me a good while to figure out what was going wrong.  

Peter6789
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Thank you for this was pulling what hair I have left out ,so anyone here because they can’t connect smart plugs my particular ones are Teckin this works
0 Ratings
Mike-888
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

After two frustrating days of trying to connect a (AISIRER) smart plug with the (TuyaSmart) app with no success.

I finally found a vid on youtube,  https://youtu.be/nJhIrAgVZvA   using the AP mode.

I didn't even know what this was ! but this vid was very helpful. 

The trick is to get the plug to show the slow flashing blue led, then getting the Application into the AP mode on the screen where it shows reset the device EZ mode if you click on this top right then shows AP mode follow the prompts on the video.

i now can use it on alexa ... Ps don't forget to rename the plug as its in mandarin LOL ..  

0 Ratings