cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Can't access some company sites though Broadband/VPN, but can through Mobile HotSpot/VPN

Hi

I know there are a number of threads relating to VPNs and DNS here but none seem to address the issue I am facing.

Using Window 10 and Smart Hub 2 Manager (Smart Setup turned off).

I connect to the company VPN and can access some internal company sites, on others, the domain cannot be resolved.

If I connect to the VPN over a mobile hotspot, I can access all sites with no problem.

I've spent a long time on this issue and would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't access some company sites though Broadband/VPN, but can through Mobile HotSpot/VPN

I have found that the issue is with the BT DNS servers that, as many others have found, are configured in the Smart Hub in such a way that they cannot be removed.

If I configured Windows to use the Google DNS server, then my requests are sometimes unsuccessfully handled by the BT DNS server and sometimes successfully by the Google DNS server.

Effectively I can sometimes access my company systems, but only by luck.

Does anyone know a way that I can force all requests to use the Google DNS server that I have specified in Windows? I am contacting BT too in the meantime. If I can't resolve this, I will have to switch to an ISP that I can use for work.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Re: Can't access some company sites though Broadband/VPN, but can through Mobile HotSpot/VPN

you never said if in addition to smart setup you also turned of web protect in MYBT as that may help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for replying.  I don't have web protect activated.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

BT Can't help. Just offered to replace my SmartHub2.

Going to buy a new router.
0 Ratings