cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suzanna84
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Can't connect to BT Router

I have recently received a new PC for work and I am unable to connect to my BT Router wirelessly.

The pc has wireless capability and if I connect my phone as a hotspot connects absolutely fine.  

I have logged onto my router and removed any devices that aren't used any more and still can't connect.. can anyone suggest anything I can try? 

I have done a Windows trouble shoot and still no help 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Can't connect to BT Router

Assuming it's Win 10 what networks are showing when you click on the internet access icon on the task bar. There should be a few all showing as wireless - if there aren't any then your computer probably doesn't have wireless capability unless there is a hardware problem which would need your work to probably sort out.

You should have an ethernet cable as one usually comes with a new hub when you first join BT so if it is the right length try to establish a connection that way.

0 Ratings
Suzanna84
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Hi there, yes the pc does have wireless capability and it recognises a number of networks and will connect to my phone's hotspot 

I'm too far away for the cable I have to reach the pc from the router. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Basic checks:

Which BT router do you have?

Does the laptop actually "see" the BT router when you scan for networks?

You are sure you are trying to connect to your BT router. The name of the hub is on the label on the router.

You are sure you are using the correct wireless password and not the admin password. Again it is found on the label.

Have your tried a factory reset of the BT Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds and then trying to connect?

0 Ratings
Suzanna84
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Yes as I've said previously my network is showing on the pc.  I understand which one is the password.... And which one is my admin password as I've even logged into the router and removed some old devices from the router set up. 

I have restarted pc and router

Thanks for your reply though 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

sorry but did you just restart the hub or as suggested perform a factory reset which is different?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

I didn't ask you to restart the router, I asked you if you had carried out a factory reset.

EDIT. My mistake re "laptop". I note you said it was a PC.

0 Ratings
Suzanna84
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Yes I've done a reset and initially did do a restart too. 

Thanks 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

When you select your hubs network on the PC what happens?

Are you offered the option to enter the hubs password?

0 Ratings
Suzanna84
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Yes I enter the password it does the usual the usual checking etc then just says" cannot connect "

Completely lost 🤦

0 Ratings