cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nonetwork
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Can't download Broadband Free Tool ;((((

Hello everyone, hope you can help me: yesterday I moved in new house and I don't have a signal in my room ;((( Well, sometimes I can catch it in several places, but, c'mon, it's 2018 and it couldn't be like that I need to go to the garden to find the spot ;((( And while I can access few pages when I try to go to another (let's say Debenhams or Google Translator) I am redirected to the BT Hub Welcome page - I followed the instructions, wanted to download that BT Desktop Tool but when I clicked on 'download' I have a message: 

This site can’t be reached

pbttbc.bt.motive.com took too long to respond.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Any help, please? I'm feeling cast away from the world 😞
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Can't download Broadband Free Tool ;((((

do you actually have BT broadband in your home or are you trying to access BTWIFI from someone esle's hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Fortunately the BT Desktop tool is no longer available which was in my opinion a piece of junk and should have been removed years ago. In any event you do not need it for anything on your computer or to connect to the Internet.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12941/~/bt-desktop-help

If you are trying to access your own BT broadband package you need to make sure that you are connected to the BTHomehub that was supplied to you.

The wireless  seignal will be named something like BTSmarthub-xxxx

Once you have clicked on that you need to enter the wireless passkey/password that is on the hub's label.

Once you have done that you  make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

If you are trying to log onto the BTWifi-Fon signal you need to use your BTID and Password when the "landing page" opens on your computer.

nonetwork
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Hi, yes, I am connected to the right network - but instead 'BTSsmarthub-xxxx' it's 'BTHub5 - xxxx'... I put the password.

When I clicked the link which you provided, I was redirected to that page 'Welcome to BT - Get Online with Smart Setup' ;((( They tell me to download it, but how can I do this if it's no longer available ;(((
0 Ratings
nonetwork
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Yes, it's the one in our house.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

You don't download smart setup, its a configurable option on the hub management page.

nonetwork
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

f I Re: Can't download Broadband Free Tool ;((((

So if I understood properly, I must log in 'My BT' - can I set account up for myself or does my landlord have to do this? As a owner and person who pays a bill.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Re: f I Re: Can't download Broadband Free Tool ;((((

If you are just trying to turn off Smart set up,  just put 192.168.1.254 in a web browser, select smart setup and turn it off.

nonetwork
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Ok, but where I can find that Smart Set Up? I don't have an option like this. I have 4 bars: Home, Settings, Advanced Settings, Troubleshooting. So I logged into 'Settings' and clicked 'Wireless'.

Here I've got '5 GHz Wireless Configuration - Channel selection: Automatic (Smart Wireless) ' and option 'Reset wireless settings to default' - should I reset it?

Down I've got something like this:
'Smart Wireless
If you’re having problems with poor wireless range or speed, first click on the ‘Refresh’ button. Your Hub will search again for the best channel. (Please wait approximately one minute for your Hub to automatically pick the new channel.)' - should I refresh it?

I mean, there is no 'Smart Setup' anywhere 😕
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Smart setup is different to smart wireless. See how to turn it off here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

For wireless, give the 2.4G and 5G different SSIDs and set the channel manually rather than using smart wireless.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/related/1

Try various channels to see if you get a better signal. Channel 13 is a good one to pick for 2.4G