cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

Can't get connected to a network

Hi guys, i'm not quite sure where i should post my issue as i have 2 problems. Since last thursday, my internet connection keeps getting lost, sometimes for 4/5 hours or even more unless i restart the laptop Woman Frustrated I have rebooted, restarted and reset the hub umpteen times to no avail.

I also noticed that my telephone line (cordless type)  had a constant engaged tone and i couldn't make a call. I have ran all the Windows network diagnostic tools but can't find a solution. I removed the corded telephone and did all the tests with a corded phone/master socket and that phone has a dialling tone and i can ring out and get an inbound ring tone (using my mobile but i haven't actually spoken to anyone on a call so i don't know if the line is actually working) however when picking up the receiver as though i was going to make a call there does seem to be a bit of noise, faint crackling as just a sort of generalised interferance noise, but this phone seems to work even if plugged into the micro filter using the "normal" socket. The odd thing it appears that if i reboot my laptop i can manage to get connected to the wifi so i am stumped as what to do next.

Incidentally, since the day i joined BT about  3/4 years ago i have always had trouble with losing my internet connection when my phone rang and i answered it but i just put up with it as it didn't seem a major issue because after the call ended it would pick up the wifi connection after a few minutes.

Sorry if  i have posted in the wrong sub forum and for the fact that this is a bit long winded but i would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem may be or hopefully has a solution to my issue. Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Can't get connected to a network

sounds like you may have a problem with cordless phone

if you make or receive a call with corded phone does your router still drop your internet connection?

if so have you tried conencting to test socket with a filter and repeat check to see if router drops conenction  if it still happens then you have high resistance fault and need to report a phone fault to 151

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: Can't get connected to a network

Thanks very much for your reply @imjolly. I haven't actually made a call as such as i have only called my own mobile and vice versa just to test that i hear it ringing but  i am here on my own so haven't actually spoken to myself (that sounds weird but i hope you know what i mean).  I didn't realise that i had to use a microfilter in the test socket, i only connected the main telephone cord to the test socket but i will give your suggestion a try and see what happens. Thank you.

0 Ratings