cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Calvert346
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

Can't work from home as access to work server blocked

I recently moved into my house and had BT Superfast broadband installed - have had it now for about 6 weeks. I also started a new job and am expected to work from home 2 days a week but I can't log into my work secure server from home (I am a civil servant). I've tried BT technical support for help, and also the IT people at work, but am still stuck. My husband hasn't had trouble accessing his own work server. I'm getting a bit desperate so thought I'd reach out to the forum for help - any suggestions at all would be very appreciated.

Initially whenI tried to log into the secure server I got the message:

'The page you have requested has been blocked by the core firewall, This is because the client device has attempted to connect directly to the internet for a URL which is only available via a proxy server'

and

'Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy setting'.

The BT tech people (which I had to pay for) advised to turm on port clamping which I did - this made no difference unfortunately.

They then emailed directions how to set up port forwarding and change VPN settings  - I tried this but don't know what Protocol to select or which External/Internal Ports I should select so had to guess. 

This didn't work and I now get the message when I try to log in:

'Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings'

and

'Make sure the web address http: cms.xxx.gov.uk is correct (the xxx is actually the name of my dept so didn't want to put it on a public forum'.

They BT tech people won't help any further and the IT people at work tell me they don't help with router problems and I need to sort this out with BT. I'm now completely stuck.

The IT help team at work can't access my laptop remotely (they normally can for staff) so can't see what is going on and have checked everything when I'm at work and logged and and say they are stumped.

I have tried re-setting the router (pressing the factory re-set button) but this hasn't worked.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do next? TIA.

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Can't work from home as access to work server blocked

BT can't help as they have no idea what settings your employer requires. Your employer's IT people should sort it out for you that's what they are paid for.

Calvert346
Beginner
Message 3 of 21

If only! 

Do you by any chance know what I should specifically be asking my employer?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

You shouldn't have to ask them anything, they should be telling you what settings they require to be made on your setup in order for you to work at home. It's their problem not yours, it very much depends on their systems as to what is required.

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

I doubt you are the only person they have using a BT HH, ask them what settings other users have made in order to get it working.

Calvert346
Beginner
Message 6 of 21

I'm the only person with this problem apparently  - they have been great at work and spent hours trying to help but say it looks like a problem with my router. None of my colleagues have this problem either. I think the BT firewall blocked access and I can't work out how to change this.

I think my only option might be to cancel my BT package and find another provider.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

As a guess, I would say you need special software on your laptop which connects via a VPN, after some form of smartcard authorisation, usually a token which generates a random number, in conjunction with your own personal ID.

That should give you access the the company Intranet. At present, the company firewall is doing its job by blocking direct connections from the Internet.

As @licquorice has said, its an issue that your IT people should deal with, I assume they provided the company laptop and software?

Also make sure you are opted out of BT Web Address help, as that can cause issues with VPNs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14244/~/about-bt-web-address-help

licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

@Calvert346 wrote:

I'm the only person with this problem apparently  - they have been great at work and spent hours trying to help but say it looks like a problem with my router. None of my colleagues have this problem either. I think the BT firewall blocked access and I can't work out how to change this.

I think my only option might be to cancel my BT package and find another provider.

I would be extremely surprised if that is the case.

If other people with the same router don't have a problem I fail to see how it can be the router.

Can you borrow a different  modem/router to try? Any VDSL modem/router will do. Alternatively the TP Link TD-W9970 is only about £35 if you wanted to try that.

You will incur severe cancellations charges if you are still in contract with BT.

Calvert346
Beginner
Message 9 of 21

I unfortunately can't access another modem or router and don't have enough tech experience to tackle a TP link.

I might have to take a hit on the cancellation fee as better that than lose my job.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Is it your personal laptop or a work laptop?

Have you turned off smart setup on the Hub?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...