Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Can you cancel a contract due to ping?

Go to solution

Hi,

So i was having the very common and unresolved issue of ping spikes rocketing through the roof when somebody watches a stream in the house, and decided at that time that because BT and the moderators on here refused to acknowledge that it is a problem with the BT network, I got a secondary line put in and internet through with Sky, the sky internet is completely stable by the way, I can watch up to 3 1080p streams 60fps before I notice a ping increase, doesn't affect games at all, just raises the ping, doesn't introduce stuttering or warping like BT does.

Where my original question stands is, I'm now paying for two contracts, one which is evidently unfit for purpose and one that works flawlessly, and with there being over a hundred customers just on the forums alone struggling with this issue, do you think I could build a case to cancel the BT without charge? 

Also, would an ombudsman help in my case?

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
albertj
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: Can you cancel a contract due to ping?

Go to solution

I don't think ping is guaranteed like download and upload speeds, so I wouldn't think so.

--
If I have helped you in anyway please press the Kudo button (thumbs up)
If I have resolved your post please click 'Mark as Accepted Solution'
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 19

Go to solution

Until you have been through the BT formal complaints procedure and have a deadlock letter from BT the Ombudsman will not even consider your complaint.

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/

0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 4 of 19

Go to solution

Just to update my own thread, 

after uploading on twitter multiple examples of people having the same issue, sending an email to the CEO with the same images showing all of us having the same issue with ping spikes using BT and that nobody is providing answers or solutions,

I received a call today from BT saying that they are happy to let me leave the contract without charge, great news, maybe worth while other customers using the same platforms as I did in order to leave a contract to make a switch, *Edit*

Good news, no longer going to be a BT customer and going to stick with the secondary Sky line which has given me no troubles with latency (even with 4k streaming and 1080p streaming going on at the same time)

Good luck all!

Joseph90
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Go to solution

Hi josh can you give me some advice.  Im Im with bt and currently into online gaming and im experiencing high ping spikes 500ms plus frequently in game and my download speed is frequently fluctuating widely hence a unstable. How is your experience been with sky? Im currently looking to switch to a different isp

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Go to solution

Its against forum rules to discuss other providers. You could of course use private messaging.

0 Ratings
Joseph90
Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Go to solution

Well maybe if bt fixed their ping spikes which are ruining online gaming maybe people wouldn't have to discuss other providers

0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Go to solution

In terms of advice, not discussing any other provider here but from not my experience, when you look up at the ... it provides no lag, consistent speed, no stutters whilst watching netflix downstairs (4k TV), and netflix upstairs (1080p), netflix settings set back to high (had to be on low and didn't do anything with the ol british telecom). 

but yeah, don't stream and game in 2019, not acceptable usage that.

0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 9 of 19

Go to solution

If you're getting speed fluctuations I would first look into getting your line checked, that's something I never did have with BT. I was consistently getting 60/20 on my line, however, I did have G.INP active which was giving my router all kinds of errors resulting in constant disconnects, noise was limited to 3db, had an engineer remove G.INP and reset it to 6db on noise, and disconnects were fixed.

With the countless engineers that came round during the past 4 months, recreating the problem to them by loading up a netflix stream and showing them what happens in real time with ping plotter and within a game, making sure they read out their job notes to me stating that gaming is unplayable, I think BT must have spent a fortune getting engineers out which may have helped in my stand.

However, if a fault isn't found (don't think ping is classed as a fault) they can sting you with a call-out charge, this never happened to me, just something to be aware of. (if the person who books the engineer for you doesn't state about a callout charge on the phone, I'm sure you could dispute it incase it happens).

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 19

Go to solution

@JoshThomas wrote:

However, if a fault isn't found (don't think ping is classed as a fault) they can sting you with a call-out charge, this never happened to me, just something to be aware of. (if the person who books the engineer for you doesn't state about a callout charge on the phone, I'm sure you could dispute it incase it happens).

You are wrong.

If there is no fault found you will not be charged anything.

You would only be liable for a charge if there is a fault found as per this link.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/~/engineer-home-improvement-service-charges

0 Ratings