cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hangerhead
Contributor
Message 21 of 295

Re: Cannot access BBC or Facebook

hi, i am not streaming - just trying to open the default BBC.co.uk/news site, and same for facebook.

I ran the standard speed checker, showing circa 4.5mb download and .37 upload.

Both sites are slow again now (i mean, not opening).

All other sites appear to be fine.

0 Ratings
Harmonica
Contributor
Message 22 of 295

edit: snip, see below

0 Ratings
Harmonica
Contributor
Message 23 of 295

Sorry, the box ate my formatting

Yup, same here. Standard trio of sites that I know of, that suffer issues, are now not loading at this time.

Here's the offending url for BBC: static.bbci.co.uk. A content server I assume. I get one hop outside of my router and then it's 100% unreachable. 1 hop!

Target Name: static.bbci.co.uk
         IP: 213.120.157.8
  Date/Time: 08/07/2014 20:40:46

1    1 ms  BTHUB3 [192.168.1.254]
 2   10 ms  [217.47.112.122]
 3   *       [-]
 4   *       [-]
 5   *       [-]

Destination not reached in 35 hops

Here's the next one: Steam content servers. The URL varies day to day but it will result in the pages not loading for minutes, and when they eventually load I have just text, broken images and no stylesheet: steamcommunity-a.akamaihd.net One hop, then thats as far as I get, 100% loss.

Third site that gives me grief is radiotimes.com. Currently also not loading. This traceroute actually pings all the way out to Newark nodes but they're over 100ms ping and the end host is unreachable. I can't tell what their content server is but I bet I wouldn't be able to get to it either.

So - what's the issue here? This happens every evening I bother to try loading these sites. These are big sites and not rinky-dink operations. Why are my connections dropping on the first hop outside my router? Is that the local exchange faulting?

Also note that streaming at this time or doing other intensive things like downloading will not have problems.

0 Ratings
scott_johnston
Contributor
Message 24 of 295

it sound like it may be a DNS issue have you tried flushing the DNS

http://www.wikihow.com/Flush-DNS

0 Ratings
Harmonica
Contributor
Message 25 of 295

Yeah I do try flushing the dns semi regularly. I'm not sure it has an effect but next time I'm having issues I'll try it and see.
0 Ratings
Hangerhead
Contributor
Message 26 of 295

i've twice flushed the dns by running cmd as administrator, and the same thing is happening. Other sites are fine, but BBC and Facebook sites cannot load, or load incompletely.

0 Ratings
scott_johnston
Contributor
Message 27 of 295

do you use the bthomehub dns servers? manually changing dns to google  on your computer to see if the problem is with the DNS servers 

link https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

dns.PNG

0 Ratings
Harmonica
Contributor
Message 28 of 295

Yeah I already use Google DNS and it makes no difference.
0 Ratings
Harmonica
Contributor
Message 29 of 295

It's happening again this evening. Flushed the dns cache to no effect. Can't load store pages on Steam or if they load they load after a minute or two with no content/formatting. Ping dies after the first hop past my router.

edit: as soon as I post about it, the problem miraculously fixes itself... Had been going on for a few hours previous to this.

0 Ratings
Hangerhead
Contributor
Message 30 of 295

same for me too! last night and during today fine, and now this evening, facebook and bbc again.

twitter and hotmail, yahoo...all fine.

0 Ratings