cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lowei
Expert
Message 201 of 295

Re: Cannot access BBC or Facebook

Sounds like this is a router, carriers problem and not a isp one.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28786954

0 Ratings
Ludo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 202 of 295

Hi Ant3000 ...

Yes, your http address suggestion has taken me to an entirely different place: 'How you connect to the world'.

It's almost friendly, at least in comparison to the threat of imminent prosecution from 'Outlook Web Access' produced by SeanD's www address ... curiouser and curiouser ...

Keep up the good work.

Ant3000
Contributor
Message 203 of 295

Problems at 12:20 16/08/14 - All Wireless connections

Ipad 217.43.181.32 / 192.168.1.254 

Tesco, shutterstock, bbc, ebay

Ipad 217.43.181.32 / 8.8.8.8 

Imac (I have a few DNS set up as I understand if the 1st doesn't work then it moves to the 2nd etc)

DNS in this order: 192.168.1.254, 8.8.8.8, 8..4.4

I took a look into installing wireshark but it seems to make quite a lot of changes to the system files?

0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 204 of 295

Hi Lowei

This does seem quite a plausable answer and one that has been referred to as the "512k" problem although as I understand it they aren't actually referring to the customers personal routers (ie. Home Hubs etc) but actually the Cisco hardware used by the ISP's (i.e BT)

It's interesting that the article mentions that the network providers are ulikely to admit to having problems as it shows they are using old kit but perhaps the problems we are all experiencing is actually "ratting them out" so to speak.

If the 512k problems is the cause of our headaches maybe BT should just put their hands up to it or make a statement to implicitly deny it?

What do you think SeanD?

0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 205 of 295

Doing a little more research it seems that Lowei may have re focussed on something very relevant.

Reading through this article

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networking/1401027/the-internet-is-dying-sites-collapse-as-512k-limit...

it mentions 

"An arbitrary half-million limit on the number of routes carried by millions of Cisco routers has caused outages at scores of data centres. The bizarre limit, known as 512k, is caused by a random software limitation on certain routers that is now causing the internet to stop working. When there are too many routes on one router it can no longer cope and people can't connect to certain websites and services."

"...the global routing table is a massive online map that guides traffic through the maze of networks. When either system fails certain websites and services can be severed from the internet."

"Routers affected are those that run the internet and not routers used by people to connect to the internet in homes and offices."

"It is easy enough to fix but internet service providers have been unwilling to do so for fear of causing major outages. Now that the limit has been reached on many routers people are starting to complain about patchy internet access, with websites unreachable and access patchy."

"The scale of the problem isn't clear with experts speculating that it is likely to fan out as more routers are affected. Websites and people it affects are also likely to seem random as specific routers reach their 512k limit. Issues are likely to continue for days and possibly even weeks as engineers scramble to upgrade routers running at full capacity."

Do we have a winner?

0 Ratings
Ludo
Aspiring Contributor
Message 206 of 295

'Do we have a winner?'

Looks remarkably like it,  Ant, but the cost implications of upgrading all these networks must be horrendous, which may explain the near silence on this subject from the mainstream press.

The '512k' problem got a mention on Sky news at 4pm yesterday but as far as I'm aware, was removed from subsequent bulletins.

I suspect it's mostly to do with money, or more particularly, shareholders' profits ... as usual.

0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 207 of 295

In light of this the statement delivered via SeanD from BT Wholesale

"Wholesale have thoroughly tested the network side of things and cannot find an issue."

seems a little confusing considering the 512k problem appears to be widely reported across the tech press!

or perhaps they overlooked that? Smiley Wink

P.S. - bbc.co.uk appears to be working again so I must of found a clear "route"

0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 208 of 295

I doubt the 512K problem is the cause of the issue. BT is a major provider and this has been a known problem for a while now.
0 Ratings
Brandscill
Aspiring Expert
Message 209 of 295

Plus why would it be website specific?
0 Ratings
Ant3000
Contributor
Message 210 of 295

It seems it can be website specific 

Taken from http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/networking/1401027/the-internet-is-dying-sites-collapse-as-512k-limit...

"The bizarre limit, known as 512k, is caused by a random software limitation on certain routers that is now causing the internet to stop working. When there are too many routes on one router it can no longer cope and people can't connect to certain websites and services.

The obscure software limitation forms a key part of the internet's infrastructure. Alongside the Domain Name System, a kind of phonebook for all websites, the global routing table is a massive online map that guides traffic through the maze of networks. When either system fails certain websites and services can be severed from the internet."

Check this too - http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/regional/280853-top-websites-like-ebay-crash-as-web-starts-to-run...

PS - Facebook, ebay, shutterstock not working for me as of 14:57 - Imac same IP / DNS etc

0 Ratings