Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 51 of 63

Re: Cannot access my own uk website except via VPN

Go to solution
thanks for testing - now that's really interesting

really appreciate everyone's help with this

I've changed the settings on my ethernet adapters to no avail (win 10)

going to try disabling my IPv6
0 Ratings
Message 52 of 63

Go to solution

It would seem to suggest that fasthost have possibly misconfigured the IPv6 DNS information for your site and when the preferred connection is via IPv6 it fails.

Message 53 of 63

Go to solution

just tried and success - you've cracked it - brilliant thanks

not certain where to go from here though 

and what happens to anyone else trying to connect through BT - not that there's a lot of traffic through the site but it would be good if BT could access it who has IPv6 enabled

so it's looking as if if it could be BT's IPv6 rollout ?

0 Ratings
Message 54 of 63

Go to solution
i'm a bit behind on the posts 😉
I'll contact fasthost and see if i get anywhere
0 Ratings
Message 55 of 63

Go to solution
Well spotted on the IPv6 front.
Both the A record (for IPv4) and the AAAA record (for IPv6) are pointing to Fasthosts, so all ISPs are behaving as they should.
The fact that a 404 is being returned means that the request is hitting Fasthosts' servers, but they don't know how to deal with it - it looks like they just haven't hooked up the DNS name with the IPv6 route.
Only Fasthosts can fix this.
Message 56 of 63

Go to solution

@licquorice 

Great detective work.

0 Ratings
Message 57 of 63

Go to solution

Received this morning 

Your website only needs the DNS A record (IPV4) in order to work, so with or without IPV6, it should just work then.

Your website is working using another ISP, we have also double checked everything with our engineers and there are no blocks for your website or the ISP as we have no option of blocking IP addresses using a particular Internet Service Provider as stated by my colleague previously.

They just don’t seem to grasp it’s the IPv6 causing the issue 

I’ve gone back yet again detailing the exact scenario when it fails and asked for a senior engineer to look at it 

I’ve asked to move the site to a new IP address and numerous other options including giving up and going to another hosting company

not holding my breath 

0 Ratings
Message 58 of 63

Go to solution

What they don't seem to understand is if the website resolves to an IPv6 address it should work!! If it only resolved to  an IPv4 address , then yes, that would be fine. 

0 Ratings
Message 59 of 63

Go to solution
Yep I’m just hitting ja brick wall
0 Ratings
Message 60 of 63

Go to solution
It’s sorted - thanks to everyone for your input - hopefully this may help someone else

I went into the advanced DNS this morning deleted the AAAA record ( don’t think that option was there before) and success

Received this yesterday someone finally twigged
========
This case has been escalated to our engineer and it seems like you're having trouble because there's an AAAA record set.

DNS:
$ host formbycivicsociety.org.uk
formbycivicsociety.org.uk has address 77.68.64.0
formbycivicsociety.org.uk has IPv6 address 2a00:da00:100f:f000::228

That is why when IPv6 is enabled that the site doesn't work. It's trying to get to that address (which is not the address of this server). That AAAA record needs to be removed. When there's no AAAA record and IPv6 is enabled, it should resolve to the IPv4 address.

========
0 Ratings