cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamesuk1981
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Cannot connect Amazon Echo since getting BT Smart Hub 2

Hi, I recently upgraded my BT and have now got the BT Smart Hub 2 with the Disc, this was going to be useful as the wifi signal was a little low in the top floor (we are in 3 floor house).

Using the disc does seem to do what it says and the signal is better having the disc on the middle floor.

The problem is i have an Amazon Echo both in the living room and in 1 bedroom and have always worked fine prior to getting the Smart Hub 2.

When i try to run the setup for the Echo's i get to the point where i select the Amazon wifi network but then the information on the Alexa app is incorrect, i am using Android 9 and it says once you connect to the Alexa wifi you should return to the app then it says but if you have a notification saying no internet connection you should tap it and select yes, when i tap the notification saying no internet access i don't have an option saying yes, it just says do i want to switch to mobile internet, either way i have tried doing that and now doing that and the Alexa app stays on the same screen and doesn't go to the next part of the setup. At this point even though Alexa has said connected the yellow light just keeps going around on the top of Alexa.

From when i got my original Smart Hub i have turned Smart Setup to off as i know this can cause issues anyway.

I cannot seem to find a way around this, does anyone know if there’s a known issue or something i must be missing?

Thanks for any help,

James

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
grajay
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Cannot connect Amazon Echo since getting BT Smart Hub 2

I have a similar issue James.  I eventually managed to get my Smarthub wifi password to work on a brand new out of the box system which required me to factory reset the Smarthub - sigh. 

Anyway, just about everything worked ok apart from the Amazon echo dot.  I used the Alex app and the echo dot found the network but wouldn't connect to it saying it was a public network (wrong).  I persisted with the app which advised me that the required app would open and get things sorted - which it didn't.  So now I have left the new Smarthub in the box and am using my HomeHub 5 which works flawlessly with EVERYTHING.

It has been suggested that I turn off "Smart setup", but I'm rather losing the will to continue messing about with this any more.

Graham
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

@grajay 

smart setup causes no end of problems with devices trying to connect to your broadband and switching it off will make your life a lot easier.  It's the first thing I do when I get a new hub

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Newer does not always mean better, and can  introduce more problems. If what you already have, works just fine, then keep on using it.

If if goes wrong, and you cannot get another HH5, then there are plenty of 3rd party routers available, which will give you much less trouble.

0 Ratings