cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 53

Re: Cannot connect to Netgear Wifi Router

Go to solution

I have read your messages and thank you for your help. I am not ignoring anyone as you all been great help. I am not good at IT or all the tech things but I will try it again. I always want to go into the set-up page but I found maybe my understanding is very bad, I don't understand how to get it even read all messages.

But I will try this:
Netgear router > connect to PC > with cable not wifi

I will not do this:
BT modem (the openreach one on the wall) > using cable > connect to Netgear router > connect to PC using wifi

I hope my understanding is correct

0 Ratings
Message 32 of 53

Go to solution

Not wishing to be rude, but as you have stated that you are not good at IT or tech, why do you want to use a Netgear router rather than the supplied BT hub which is plug and play?

Message 33 of 53

Go to solution

No worries, this is a very good question. My husband wants to change to this Netgear wifi router because he said the BT hub is slow and not using all the broadband 900. But he doesn't know how to set it up, and I am always the one to set up the internet or wifi at home. I am not good at that at all, I normally just follow the instructions or read the resources from internet. 

0 Ratings
Message 34 of 53

Go to solution

I think he might be disappointed when/if you manage to configure the Netgear.

Message 35 of 53

Go to solution

Oh really. So Netgear is not a good one? Can you suggest a better one for him? Thank you again.

0 Ratings
Message 36 of 53

Go to solution

The Netgear router needs to be connected to the Openreach ONT ( what you appear to call the BT modem for some reason ) ,getting to the menus  setting up the router ( the Netgear ) is with an Ethernet cable connected between it and your PC is the easiest way , obviously you need  to enter the log in credentials into the Netgear setup menu screens ., that’s why you connect your PC to the Netgear , you could do this wirelessly but a cable is simplest 

Message 37 of 53

Go to solution

A (harsh) analogy:

You don't like waiting for the bus because it's "slow". So you buy a Ferrari but can't start it. But even if you could, neither of you know how to drive.

I'd strongly suggest sending it back & sticking to the BT Hub. Your husband can then task himself with learning how to achieve whatever it is he's hoping for. Whatever that is, as @licquorice alluded to, simply changing the router isn't likely to be the answer.

Message 38 of 53

Go to solution

@rbz5416wrote:

@michaelkenwardwrote:

A good start might be to reset the Netgear router and start from scratch

Good luck with that. I've suggested it twice now& been ignored both times...

Maybe the message will sink in eventually.

Message 39 of 53

Go to solution

Thank you and I will try that also. 

And thank you everyone again. 

I have connected Netgear Router to my PC using cable. Then I am able to go to the routerlogin.net page and set up the password. I have successful set it (I think) and I have this page: 

3465TYP_0-1715002951863.png

I thought I have completed it. 
So I then plugged the BT modem (openreach wall one) >> cable >> connect to Netgear router. 
Then I tried wifi, tried both my PC and mobile. Still saying no internet connection. 

0 Ratings
Message 40 of 53

Go to solution

Are you sure it is the PPPoE username and password you have set?

You also need to set Vlan id to 101.

I'm afraid I can't tell you how to make those settings on the Netgear though.