cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Cannot find BT home wifi in my wifi list (Windows 10)

I had a BT Home Hub 4 running on my home broadband. I have upgraded my system and I now have a new home hub. Since upgrading, my HP Windows 10 laptop can no longer see the Home Hub in the wifi list. It cannot see BTWiFi and BTWiFi-X either. It is as if the hub has not been plugged in.

However, the laptop can see other wifi like my neighbours and another Windows 10 laptop can see the new home hub.

So the issue is clearly something to do with the HP laptop/Windows 10/Home Hub conflict.

Has anyone resolved this before and how did they do it? I have done reboots and factory restarts and nothing has changed.

Thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cannot find BT home wifi in my wifi list (Windows 10)

Try resetting your laptops wireless card.

To do this click on the wireless symbol at the bottom right of your laptop then click on Network and Internet settings.

This will bring up a settings box. Scroll down until you see "Network Reset". Click on it and click "Reset Now". Follow the prompts and restart your laptop.

When the laptop restarts it should show all the wireless networks and it should include your new hub.

Click on it and connect as per the usual way.

It will be worth turning off "Smart set up" on your new hub.

See link how to do that.

Make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Thanks. Sadly it did not work. Still not showing the home hub
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Try turning off the 5GHz wireless on the home hub, and see if the computer can see the 2.4GHz wireless.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Check that your laptop's wireless card is using the most up to date drivers.

Use the wireless card manufacture's website or the laptop manufacturer's website rather than the Windows update site.   

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Unfortunately none of this worked but I can update you on what happens.

When I reboot the Home Hub, the laptop can see it and the BTWiFi one. However, when I try to connect to it, I get the error "cannot connect to this network". The strength is about 1 bar but it is higher for the other devices. It doesnt matter how close the laptop is. Then when I click on the OK button it disappears.

So something happens once the the Home Hub is fully rebooted that stops the laptop from seeing it. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I assume the hub lights are blue so can you connect by the laptop to the hub using an ethernet cable? If so do you then get internet access

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Yes, cable access is possible.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

It sounds like your wireless network card is causing the problem.

Did you check the drivers as suggested?

How old is your laptop?

It could be that the wireless card has a problem with the dual wifi bands being transmitted by the hub.

You could try and purchase a dual band wireless dongle, they start in cost at about £5.

If the laptop connects when using that you will know that it is the onboard wireless network card that is the problem. If it does not connect you can always send it back.

EDIT: I assume you are trying to connect your laptop to the new BT hub's SSid (name) using the password on the hub and not the old SSid which may still be showing particularly if you use wireless powerline adaptors

0 Ratings