Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 2

Cannot open page as couldn’t establish a secure connection to the server

Go to solution

Hi

I’ve got an old home hub 3 router and am trying to open a Microsoft owned site (https://sway.office.com) and keep getting the above message. Have tried on various different platforms and nothing works and my daughter needs to access it for her homework. She’s able to connect at school on their internet and if I switch off the WiFi on my mobile I can connect using 4G, so the issue is our WiFi or router. 

I spoke to BT tech yesterday, who told me to switch off the router for a few hours in order to get a new IP address, but the problem still remains. We don’t have parental controls activated or a smart setup and only have BT web protect activated. If I remove the ‘s’ from the web address, then the BT protect page comes up, but otherwise the page won’t load and we just get a message to say ‘Cannot open page as couldn’t establish a secure connection to the server’. 

Not sure if the issue is our bt router or bt internet and have no idea how to resolve the issue, as quite clearly there is nothing wrong with the site. Any help gratefully received. 

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 2

Re: Cannot open page as couldn’t establish a secure connection to the server

Go to solution

Having checked through various other similar posts, have managed to resolve the issue by changing the DNS on chrome book to google DNS and hey presto, it works. 

Have no idea why BT DNS would block the site though. 

0 Ratings