cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
yazooh74
Message 1 of 5

Cant disable BT Web Address Help

One of my vpn clients can connect to the VPN but is unable to do anything when they are connected.

I have been trying to get him to disable the BT Web Address Help service but when ever he disables it, saves the setting and closes the browser, it seems to change back to enabled again when he checks back on the preferences page. 

He has tried to change this setting on 2 machines in his house and they all appear to enable themselves again.

Any help is much appreciated.

Tags (5)
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Cant disable BT Web Address Help

Hi yazooh74 and welcome

Hmm, that's odd

Can you ask him to confirm that he's using this link - http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi and sees this message after opting out - This service is currently disabled

Then if he clicks on the link again that he sees the same message.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
yazooh74
Message 3 of 5

Thankyou

yer, he is using that link and when he saves the setting and goes back to that page, it says the service is currently enabled again.

i have told him to make sure disable is checked when he is saving the setting.

it is a strange one that because i assumed it would be as easy as disabling it and away he goes. things are never that straight forward though

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

It shouldn't be doing that (though I too have had it enabled again, just the once, which was very recent - no idea why).

Since I opted out (again), it has remained disabled.

I guess his only option is to call or email BT and ask them to look in to this, or he could sign up to these forums and then ask the forum mods to look in to this.

Putting what is stated on the status of the web address help aside, what happens if he deliberately uses an incomplete URL, for example bthomehub.hom (missing the e - it should be home) - does it go to a BTYahoo page or give an error message?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

The fact that the VPN connects in the first place, would tend to indicate the problem is elsewhere.

The main problems with VPN occur, when the host machine uses the same IP subnet as the client. Any connections that are attempted, can end up being targeted at the client network and not the host network.

The solution is usually to change the DHCP range of the client network.

0 Ratings