cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

Change subnet mask home hub 6

Go to solution

I am trying to change the subnest mask on my homehub 6 so that I can use the 172.16.0.xx range of IPs. There is an option to select this range but when I try to use it I am told that this is, 'forbidden on a reserved network,'

Does anyone know of a way to change the subnet mask?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Change subnet mask home hub 6

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

The home hubs are locked by BT, so you cannot change most settings. You would have to use a third party router to do that.

I seem to remember that range being reserved for the old BT Fusion handsets, it was certainly the case for the home hub 1.

I assume you are a BT Residential customer?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Why do you need to change the subnet mask? If the hub allows the 172.16.0.xx IP range a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 should be sufficient hosts for your needs.

Highlighted
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

I have my own router, which is why I am trying to change the subnet. I want to just use the homehub to pass the connection through to my own router and carry own using the normal subnet on there. (I meant change the subnet, not the subnet mask)

The hub gives the option of 172.16.xx but won't actually let you select it

I usually have FTTH which doesn't need a vdsl modem. As we are having work done on our house, I will be using FTTC for a few months and my router has no vdsl modem. As such I need the home hub to pass the connection to my router so I can keep using my setup. Annoyingly BT don't provide an easy way to use it as a modem so I am having to mess with different subnets. I would much prefer to change the subnet on the homehub than my proper router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

You cannot use the home hub as a modem, you would have to obtain a VDSL modem like the Netgear DM200.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Ah, as @Keith_Beddoe says, the HH6 is very prescriptive about subnets and will only allow 192.168.1.xx. Might be just simpler to get an Huawei HG612 modem from Ebay and use that in the meantime.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

I actually managed to get it working now. It allowed my to change it to custom 192.168.0.xx without issue. The home hub is effectively acting as a modem now but admittedly I am stuck with dual NAT. This will do for now, and I may pick up a vdsl modem to make the setup a bit neater soon.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Slightly better than I thought, I haven't got a HH6 but thought it was completely restricted to the 192.168.1.xx subnet from other posters.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

It's actually working pretty well almost as if the homehub wasn't there at all. The only issue so far is that my DDNS didn't work throught the double NAT, but fortunately the homehub 6 has noip support so I am using that instead. It even passes multicast BT TV through properly and I am able to access my synology NAS server from external address with no issues.

0 Ratings