cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lord_D
Message 1 of 5

Changing SSID

Hello

BT is changing my HomeHub (V6) as it has become faulty. Obviously the new Homebub will arrive with a new SSID - my question is can I apply the old SSID (from faulty router) to the new one? I know you can change SSID names per se, but can I attach an old router's name to a new one? They will both be V6 routers.

This is bourne out of lazyness and not wanting to get all the networked equipment re-configured.

Many thanks

David

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Changing SSID

Yes you can assuming you are referring to the wireless SSID. When you split the 2.4 and 5 networks you can rename the networks so just use the current ones in use as well as the current wireless code.

Not so sure about a wired connection but I think the links are generated by the computer so if the wired network is called WWWW it remains that for anything currently connected to the computer regardless of what router is used.

0 Ratings
Lord_D
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the response - it makes sense. I will try it as soon as I receive the new router - in a few days and I will post the results.

Cheers again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

I have done exactly as you intend and it works without a problem bothe wired and wireless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Lord_D
Message 5 of 5

Many thanks for your reply too - glad to know it works! 

Appreciated.

0 Ratings