cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mahilameach
Message 1 of 6

Changing face plate

Hi, hopefully someone can kindly help me.

I've been having trouble getting my broadband to reach a reasonable speed. After much troubleshooting over the phone I ended up pluging my router into the main phone line socket (the socket that can be accessed after removing the face plate). After this the broadband shot up suggesting that there could be a fault with the face plate, I'm guessing. 

My question is, how easy is it to re-wire a new face plate? Will it be just a case of wiring up the same way one cable at a time? Will the new face plate look like this one? Also, there is a brown wire that is loose, could that be the issue?

Existing faceplate

Thank you in advance!

Guy

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Changing face plate

if you normally use the master socket then I would buy a filtered faceplate which will replace the one that you have disconnected.  it is a straight replacement just connect the wires on 2 & 5 there is no need for 3.  hub will only then work in this socket and no other filters are required

you could also try replacing the front plate but disconnect the bellwire on terminal 3 first and tidy up loose wire  this explains about bellwire

bellwire removal

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mahilameach
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that we have a phone connected upstairs, at the moment I've had to take the phone downstairs and plug into the filter. Because I'm plugged into the test socket - as per the picture - the phone line upstairs is dead. If I was to rewire as you suggested will everything return to normal and I can then use the line upstairs?

Many thanks

Guy

0 Ratings
Mahilameach
Message 4 of 6

I think your link answred my question.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

I would check the upstairs extension socket and see which wire are connected to which terminals bearing in mind only 2 & 5 need be connected and no bellwire on terminal 3.  then just make sure the same wires that are connected to extension are connected to same terminals in master

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

Just a quick point on this. Front plates very rarely go faulty it is more than likely that the speed problem is due to your internal wiring or something faulty that is plugged in.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings