Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billemery1989
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Changing router

Hi all,
I've been a BT customer for a few years and I would like to change my router (I currently have a home hub, I think it's a 5 or 6).
I would like a Google mesh WiFi system as I've got a few Google products and think they're great. However I've read online that I'll need a modem. I'm worried though (not being knowledgeable about WiFi and internet) that if I change my router to a Google mesh system, will I still get internet? I thought there was some kind of verification process from the "internet" coming through the BT router. If I change this, the internet may not broadcast through the new router as BT won't recognise the new router. I cant really convey what I mean as I don't know all of the correct language. But can someone advise me of what I need/need to do to get a Google network up and running instead of a BT one?
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Changing router

Home Hub is a modem/router so you can't swap it to a mesh system without replacing the modem 

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

Or add the mesh system to the Home Hub obviously.

0 Ratings
billemery1989
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Thanks for the clarification, so I can simply buy a modem from Amazon or Curry's which will effectively replace my current home hub and then connect one of the Google mesh router into that?
0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

Needs to be vdsl modem of which i don't think there are many. Think most buy off ebay or the BT shop may be of help.

0 Ratings
billemery1989
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Thank you so much for your help. I've looked on eBay and *Edited by Mod*

Simply replace my home hub for this modem, connect/set up Google Wifi and the jobs a good 'un?

0 Ratings
B13blues
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Hope it goes smoothly.

0 Ratings
billemery1989
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

Thank you. I have had one thought over night though. We have BT sport and Sky Q, the BT sport will still work won't it? (It sounds stupid to ask but would like to clarify).
0 Ratings
gibbylinks
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

The new modem/router would need to support multi-cast as well as VDSL2.

You would need to have a reasonable level of technical knowledge to set this up. There are several post on here about getting BT Sport working on a 3rd party modem (I myself have that setup), but I wouldn't know where to start with Sky Q. Suggest you look on their forums.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Google mesh Wifi does not support multicast, so BT YouView would not work on any of the extra channels including BT Sport.

I would stick with the BT Home hub, if you want all the services.

If you just need to improve wireless coverage, then there are plenty of cheap options, or you could use the BT Whole Home system, but not to connect BT YouView to.

0 Ratings