cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramyen
Beginner
Message 1 of 16

Chromebooks no longer connecting to internet

I bought two Chromebooks for the kids at the start of September (Lenovo Yoga N23). On startup they connected perfectly to the BT Smart Hub and have had no issues at all until middle of last week when both were unable to get an internet connection. They connect to the router no problem and have a decent signal, but no internet. I'm not aware of any update to the Chromebooks but I guess that is a possible cause.

The Chromebook settings are pretty well locked down, so I've been looking at solving this via the the router instead. I've tried the usual tactics of:

- Searching for solutions online, including updating firmware (it was already the latest version, confirmed by BT), separating the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, changing the wireless channels, switching off WPS...

- Contacting BT support via online chat - tried four times and each time lost connection with the advisor and ultimately got nowhere, I think mainly as this is not a straightforward fix.

So I have two Chromebooks and two kids that now have an excuse not to do their homework (all of which seems to be online) 😉  Not sure where else to turn so any advice would be welcome. If I've missed any significant info happy to provide more...

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Chromebooks no longer connecting to internet

Try ONE factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

After it restarts make sure you turn off "smart setup" on the Homehub.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
ramyen
Beginner
Message 3 of 16

Thanks a lot for your reply. I did the factory reset and disabled the Smart Setup. Still no internet connection with the Chromebook though. I also tried removing the Chromebook from the router's device list, so in theory it should treat the it as a new device when connecting to the wifi.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Have you tried connecting the Chromebooks to a different wireless network to ensure that there is not a problem with the C/book network card or drivers.

If you do not have access to another wireless network you could try tethering them to your phone to see if they can connect and access the Internet through that.

0 Ratings
ramyen
Beginner
Message 5 of 16

Thanks. I've just tried connected to my phone hotspot - again it connects but no internet.

I haven't tried connecting to another network. Could take one into work tomorrow and try it.

Any idea what my options are, assuming they won't connect?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

It is odd that they both don't connect it could be a recent update that has caused the problem.

You could try a hard reset to see if that helps.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3227606

It would be worth checking at your work first and if they still can not get on the Internet it would be worth checking the firewall settings in case it is blocking all traffic.

I don't have a Chromebook so I can not guide you how to do that or indeed even if you can but I would imagine that you will be able to get to the firewall settings via the settings menu.

The other thing to check is if you have any antivirus installed. It might be worth turning it off just to check if you can then access the Internet. Remember to turn it back on if that is not the cause.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 16

Have you tried running the troubleshooter? See this youtube video for how to

0 Ratings
ramyen
Beginner
Message 8 of 16

Thanks again. I was unable to get on the guest network at all at work so this was inconclusive. I didn't bother the IT guys but may pursue that when they are less busy.

I tried the hard reset on one machine and it had no effect - I am still seeing exactly the same issue. The reset included a check for latest firmware and I assume would have installed it if it were needed.

At home the diagnostics routine checks the following and reports that all are ok: Captive portal, DNS, Firewall, Google services, Local network. I can't see any antivirus - I guess this is also built in and locked down.

This is feeling increasingly like a Google support issue rather than a router issue. I think I will take it up with them but I'll check back here in case you have any other ideas. Thanks a lot for your support - it's been helpful!

0 Ratings
ramyen
Beginner
Message 9 of 16

Thanks a lot. I worked through this but no joy. I'm going to pursue this on the Google/Chromebook forums but if you have any other thoughts please let me know. Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
ramyen
Beginner
Message 10 of 16

0 Ratings