Re: Cisco RV340 router IPv6 on BT ultrafast FTTP set up help

Go to solution
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 33

Go to solution

Does it allow you to leave the prefix name blank? Seems an odd requirement, I would expect it to ask for prefix length, not name. You could try entering /56 if it doesn't allow a blank field.

Edit: typing as @Rob364  posted.

0 Ratings
LondonLad
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 33

Go to solution

Thanks for that but i have already tried that and it dosent work

0 Ratings
LondonLad
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 33

Go to solution

No but I am starting to think that box is only a label

0 Ratings
VideoNick
Beginner
Message 15 of 33

Go to solution

I have a RV340 and these settings work.

First don’t expect the IP6 status to show as UP in the <<WAN Settings>>, because of the way BT allocate the addresses it will always show as DOWN. Once finished the only way to check is to use https://ipv6-test.com/ on the web.

I am assuming you have IP4 working OK and if you are going to use Wi-Fi , the AP is compatible with IP4 and IP6, older ones won’t be.

• Select <<WAN Settings>>
  • Select <<WAN1>> and select the Edit icon
  • Then set up IP6 as bellow, the DNS needs to be entered manually as shown:

VideoNick_0-1595441866411.png

• Click Apply
  • Now Select <<LAN>>, then <<VLAN Settings>>
  • Select <<VLAN1>> and select the Edit icon

For the IP6 settings set as bellow:

VideoNick_1-1595441866428.jpeg

• Prefix – select the second dot, then select the drop-down menu and select the DHCPv6(WAN1) option, this will have a /56 address assigned by BT.
  • Below that type in 1 for the first VLAN, if you have multiple VLANs then each needs its VLAN number inserted here for each VLAN.
  • Prefix Length needs to be 64
  • Disable DHCP, each attached device will generate its own address based on the address that BT issued (DHCPv6(WAN1) together with the VLAN number and its own mac number, so it should be unique.
  • Apply all changes and also Apply in Configuration management (flashing red floppy disk icon)
  • REBOOT the router.

Now to set up the PC

• Connect a PC with a Network cable and configure IP6 in the network card settings to be DHCP, this should be its default.
  • Now REBOOT the PC, so it can pick up the IP6 settings from the router and generate its own IP6 address.
  • Go to https://ipv6-test.com/ on the web and it should show you are IP6 enabled.

If that all worked you can see if a PC connected to the Wi-Fi AP works, if not check that your AP is IP6 compatible.

This configuration worked for me, only difference is I have 4 VLANs.

Good Luck

VideoNick
Beginner
Message 16 of 33

Go to solution
Further to my method to connect using IP6 - I have found some non windows IT equipment require the DHCP to be enabled in the routers VLAN IPv6 settings. So it does need to be enabled to be compatible with equipment that requires DHCP.
0 Ratings
LondonLad
Aspiring Expert
Message 17 of 33

Go to solution

Hello Nick,

Thank you very much for your informative reply and concise instructions.

Yes IP4 working OK

WAPs are ipv6 compatible but at the moment I am using a WIN7 PC straight into a LAN port on the RV340 to eliminate any potential problems with my switch or WAPs.

Your info re the ipv6 wan always showing as 'down' was VERY helpful as I was assuming that it meant what it said and wasn't looking any further!

OK I have followed your instructions to the letter but still have no ipv6 according to the test site.

I am now seeing a WAN ipv6 IP address and default gateway on the RV340 system summary page but no DNS address?

In the PC NIC status I'm seeing an IPv6 local link address but no IPv6 default gateway or IPv6 DNS server address.

I'm now assuming its the LAN side settings at fault?  If I turn on DHCP server for IPv6 on the LAN side of the RV340 I get a DNS server box with options of 'use DNS from ISP'  'Use DNS proxy' or ' Use DNS as below' none of these seem to work?

See photos below

Thank you again for your help and sorry for the delay in replying, for some reason I don't get thread update notifications always!

Screenshot_2020-07-25 RV340 Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router.pngScreenshot_2020-07-25 RV340 Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router1.png

0 Ratings
LondonLad
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 33

Go to solution

UPDATE

having set the LAN DHCP server to 'on' and selected 'Use DNS proxy' I now see a IPv6 DNS server address in the PC's NIC status page  but still no IPv6 default gateway.

Still fails on the test website

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 33

Go to solution

BT don't have IPv6 DNS servers currently, just enter your chosen servers manually on the router as shown in message 15. E.g Google 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844

0 Ratings
LondonLad
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 33

Go to solution

In the LAN settings as well as the WAN ?

0 Ratings